A fire believed to have originated in a wood stove damaged a two-story, single-family home in Waldo, Monday night, Nov. 7.

According to Waldo Fire Chief Rodney Young, the fire, at 1141 Waldo Station Road (Route 131), was reported around 9:30 p.m. Young said two people and a cat were home at the time, and all escaped without injury.

Firefighters from Waldo, Belfast, Brooks, Morrill and Belmont responded to the call, Young said, adding that the fire was heaviest in the area of wood stove and chimney, and had begun to spread to the attic.

Young said the house was left with extensive smoke and water damage and a badly burnt center wall, but he said he believed it was still structurally sound.