The Camden-Rockport Adult Flag Football League crowned a new champion Sunday afternoon on the artificial surface at Point Lookout, with No. 1 P.G. Willey (8-2) earning a 21-12 victory over No. 2 Tolman Pond Market (7-3) to claim the league crown.

It is the first league title for P.G. Willey, while Stonescape won the league crown for the first three years of the league’s history.

The championship game originally was scheduled to be played at Rockport Elementary School East at the intersection of Routes 1 and 90, but was moved to Point Lookout due to unplayable field conditions.

Games are two 20-minute halves, running time, with time halted in the final two minutes of each half for stoppages in play.

Team members for the newly-crowned league champs from P.G. Willey were Chris Hedstrom, Tom Hedstrom, Carrie Hedstrom, John Hardy, Andy Whalen, Max Niles, Kyle Moody, Logan Leach, Dave Snow, Jake Holmes, Jeremy Burnside, Dave Pike, Rusty Robinson and Will Bakker.

Team members for the league runners-up from Tolman Pond Market were Rich Worner, Kyle Mathis, Charles Pointer, Mike Curtis, John Coppola, Thomas Kennedy, Dana Fisher, Joe Russillo, Tom Kennedy, Sam Clark and Mark Hannibal.

Both teams went scoreless on their first possessions, with P.G. Willey throwing an interception and Tolman Pond being forced to punt. However, P.G. Willey got on the board with their second possession after Holmes snared a touchdown pass from Whalen. The conversion failed to give the higher seed a 6-0 lead.

P.G. Willey then seemed to put the game out of reach when Holmes’ hands again were put on display as he came up with an interception, which put his team in a first-and-goal situation. Whalen then found Hardy on their first play back on offense to give P.G. Willey a 12-0 lead after the conversion again failed.

However, Tolman Pond rallied with time winding down in the first half and cut its deficit in half, after Curtis tossed a touchdown on a halfback pass to Mathis in the corner of the end zone as time expired. After another failed conversion, the halftime score stood at 12-6 for P.G. Willey.

Tolman Pond began the second half with possession and used a time-consuming drive that took nearly 10 minutes, but ended in an interception by Holmes, his second of the day.

P.G. Willey then promptly went down the field, culminated by a short catch and scoring run by Hardy, which also was his second of the day, to give the higher seed an 18-6 advantage after the failed conversion attempt.

Tolman Pond’s next drive was thwarted by another interception, but after a P.G. Willey punt, Tolman Pond quickly moved down the field and scored on a reception by Clark to cut its deficit to 18-12 with 21 seconds remaining.

Tolman Pond then went for a three-point conversion, but the pass was picked off by Niles, who returned it to the far end zone to clinch the league crown for P.G. Willey.

A three-point conversion comes from the 20-yard line, while a two-point conversion comes from the 10-yard line and a one-point conversion from the five-yard line.

The league championship trophy was made by students at the Waldo County Technical Center.

Other scores of playoff games Sunday that led to the league final were: No. 4 Stonescape 21, No. 5 Lanphere & Sons 6; No. 3 Pioneers 42, No. 6 Belfast 12; No. 1 P.G. Willey 32, No. 4 Stonescape 6; and No. 2 Tolman Pond 28, No. 3 Pioneers 26.

Village NetMedia Associate Sports Director Mark Haskell can be reached at 207-594-4401 or by email at