Richard Southwick Morehouse, 90, died at his cottage in Camden on Jan. 8, 2012. Dick, as he was known to all, was born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., Feb. 18, 1921, on the dining room table above his grandfather Southwick’s hardware store. During his senior year in high school, he hitchhiked to Middlebury College for an interview and was admitted the following September in 1939. Immediately upon graduation in 1943 with a degree in English literature and with instruction from Robert Frost, he joined the Army Air Forces where he trained as a B-24 bomber pilot. At the end of the war, he married a Middlebury classmate, Harriet Elise “Lee” Van Leuven of Westfield, N.J.

Shortly after marrying, he was accepted at the Harvard Graduate School of Design where he studied under the legendary Bauhaus architect, Walter Gropius. Gropius helped launch The Architects’ Collaborative (TAC) in Cambridge, Mass., where Morehouse was an associate. With his TAC colleagues and their families, they developed Moon Hill, a planned community of 28 Bauhaus-inspired houses in Lexington, Mass., where he and Lee raised their family.

Morehouse left TAC to start his own architectural firm in Lexington in the early 1950s. Some years later in 1959 Jack Chesley, a classmate from Harvard, joined his firm, followed by Peter Thomas. Together they designed various buildings for Concord Academy, Waterville Valley Ski Area, the new campus at Simons Rock College, as well as a large number of private residences, including more than two dozen on Vinalhaven, where he and his family summered for over 60 years. After his partners retired, Morehouse continued the practice and brought on other associates. The practice continues today as Morehouse McDonald & Associates Inc.

Beginning in 1964, Morehouse helped Peter Willauer construct the buildings for the Outward Bound School on Hurricane Island, where he served as a longtime trustee, including on the school’s safety and building committees.

Family and friends of Dick Morehouse will remember him for his indomitable spirit, and for his vision and unbounded energy in restoring an abandoned historic structure and grounds on Lane’s Island overlooking Carver’s Harbor, Vinalhaven. Dick and Lee purchased the Captain Timothy Lane house, also known as Rockaway, in 1968 and over the next 19 years restored the rooms, one by one as a family enterprise while Rockaway became a compound for four generations of family members and friends.

Dick and Lee Morehouse had three children, Jamien, Marcy and Bruce Morehouse. Their daughters predeceased them. Dick is survived by his wife of 67 years, two brothers, Bob and Bill Morehouse, son Bruce and his wife, Christine, a son-in-law, Philip Conkling, his wife Paige Parker, five grandsons, Tucker Morehouse, Tim Conkling, Sam Conkling, twins, Micah and James Conkling, step-grandson Parker Taylor and a light-hearted and friendly Golden Retriever, Southwick, named for him.

A celebration of his life is planned for the summer on Vinalhaven. Friends can share memories and condolences at http://themorehouses.com/rsm.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent in his name to the Island Institute or one’s favorite local charity.