Kevin Johnson, photo archivist for the Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport, will present Stockton Springs: Selections from the Eastern Illustrating & Publishing Company Sunday, April 29 at 2 p.m. at Stockton Springs Community Library, 6 Station St.

Johnson will share old and new photographs of Stockton Springs and surrounding towns from the from the Eastern Illustrating & Publishing Company collection. He will seek help from the audience in telling the stories and providing information about the images. The information collected will be added to the museum’s growing database. Local historians and folks with good memories of Stockton’s past are encouraged to attend.

The Eastern Illustrating & Publishing Company was founded in 1909 in Belfast by Rudolph Herman Cassens, a native of Rockland. Cassens produced “real photo” postcards, promoting tourism of New England and New York between 1909 and 1947. Penobscot Marine Museum, which acquired the collection of nearly 50,000 glass plate and film negatives in 2007, launched their online database late last year and now more than 25,000 of these photographs are available for viewing on its website,

Johnson has been traveling throughout Maine presenting his popular photography slide shows. After graduating from college in Philadelphia, he worked as a paralegal for many years. He and his wife moved to Maine in 2003, and Johnson completed a year-long photography program at the Maine Photographic Workshops and became a teaching assistant there. Later, he began working to preserve the negatives of the Eastern Illustrating & Publishing Co., which were owned by MPW at the time. In 2007, a flood in the building where the negatives were housed prompted MPW to donate the collection to the Penobscot Marine Museum. Johnson accompanied the negatives, becoming the photo archivist for all the museum’s photographic collections. Johnson is a photographer himself and co-owns Åarhus Gallery in Belfast.

Support for this and other upcoming presentations at the all-volunteer Stockton Springs Community Library was provided by a grant from the Rose and Samuel Rudman Library Fund of the Maine Community Foundation. For more information, visit

Courier Publications’ A&E Editor Dagney C. Ernest can be reached at 207-594-4401 or