A Dixmont man was sentenced Friday, April 27, afternoon to serve 18 months in prison with all but eight years suspended in connection with a sex abuse case involving a six-year-old child.

The sentencing hearing for 50-year-old Alfred Seekins of Dixmont took place at Waldo County Superior Court. According to Waldo County Deputy District Attorney Eric Walker, Seekins pleaded no contest to two counts of gross sexual assault, two counts of unlawful sexual contact and two counts of visual sexual aggression against a child.

Seekins was charged with the crimes in Sept. 2010, after the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO) investigated a complaint from the Maine Department of Health and Human Services, according to previously published reports.

At that time WCSO Detective Jason Bosco interviewed both Seekins and the victim, who at the time was six years old. Seekins reportedly confessed to the allegations while speaking with the detective, according to Journal archives. The abuse reportedly occurred at locations in both Waldo and Penobscot Counties June 2010, but Seekins was only sentenced in Waldo County as part of the plea agreement.

In addition, Justice Robert Murray also ordered Seekins to serve four years’ probation following his release, Walker said.

Seekins was taken into custody immediately after the hearing, Walker said.

The victim was not present for the hearing, Walker said, but her biological mother addressed the court saying she was glad that justice was being done for her daughter.

“This was a plea and the victim did not have to go through the rigors of having to testify, which would have been very difficult for her,” said Walker.¬†“Overall this is a great result and very satisfying.¬†Sometimes the greatest trials that you win are the ones you never actually have to try.”