An electrical fire at a residence on Belfast/Augusta Road in Searsmont completely destroyed a home Tuesday, May 15.

The Searsmont Fire Department responded to the blaze at 11:23 a.m. at 13 Belfast/August Road East. Fire Chief James Ames said when he arrived on scene flames were shooting out of the windows and the fire burned through power lines attached to the home.

Ames said the fire, which was ruled an accidental electrical fire, started under the kitchen table in the residence. Firefighters were able to control the blaze enough to enter the home after about an hour. They were on scene until about 4 p.m.

“The home is a total loss. The structure is still standing but there isn’t anything salvageable in the home,” Ames said.

Waldo County Fire Marshall Sgt. Ken Grimes said the fire started as a result of an extension cord that was running underneath a carpet.

“When you have a cord that is covered it’s not allowed to dissipate the heat, and then you have a fire,” Grimes said. “This isn’t something that happens often, but it also isn’t unheard of.”

Grimes said residents should keep in mind that any device that conducts a current is designed to vent the heat generated by the current; however, the device needs to be kept in an area where it is able to vent.

“If you look at your cable box you’ll see vents on the back or top and those are there to vent the heat,” Grimes said. “If you cover those up that’s when you run into problems because the heat can’t dissipate.”

No one was injured in the fire, but Ames said a blown hose did knock a few firefighters down.

Ames said the homeowners have insurance on the residence.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or bholbrook@courierpublicationsllc.com