An early morning blaze destroyed a Stockton Springs residence Thursday, Dec. 27.

Assistant Fire Chief Vern Thompson said the department was called out to a possible chimney or structure fire at 6:45 a.m at a residence on Main Street across from the Town Office.

All of the occupants in the building escaped without injury, Thompson said. The cause of fire is unknown, but, he said, it originated somewhere in the attic, possibly near the chimney.

No firefighters were injured as they battled the blaze.

Thompson said the house was completely destroyed and the residents are receiving aid from the American Red Cross. He did not know how many people were in the building at the time of the fire.

Crews from Prospect and Searsport assisted at the scene.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at