An electrical fire destroyed a residence on Curtis Road in Swanville Wednesday, Jan. 9.

Belfast firefighters responded to 288 Curtis Rd. in Swanville shortly before 1:30 p.m. to a possible structure fire. Fire Chief Jim Richards said the fire started in the living room and burned a hole through the floor down to the basement.

Richards said an extension cord with multiple cords plugged into it was the most likely cause of the fire.

“It was probably smoldering for four or five hours,” Richards said.

The home was filled with smoke, and several pieces of furniture and other items near where the fire started were destroyed. Richards said that, because of the extent of the smoke damage, the home is not habitable.

Richards did not have an estimate of how much damage the fire and smoke caused, as he did not know the value of the building.

The building is owned by Newport Metals, based in Newport. The owner of the company was not available for comment.

No one was in the residence at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.

Richards said 16 firefighters and three trucks responded to the scene.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at