Firefighters were able to extinguish a small fire that started near a wood stove in a Waterville Road residence on Friday, Jan. 25.

Crews were dispatched shortly after 11 a.m. to a residence at 1162 Waterville Road in Waldo for report of smoke in the basement and possibly in the walls. Waldo Fire Chief Jacob Hepner said a wood stove ignited some nearby plumbing and wiring, which then spread to some of the woodwork in the home.

Hepner said crews were able to quickly extinguish the flames and little damage was done to the home. He said the homeowners were in the residence at the time of the fire, but no one was injured.

Firefighters from Belfast and Morrill assisted at the scene.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at