A reported structure fire at a Northport residence turned out to be a relatively minor chimney fire that resulted in little damage to the home Wednesday, Feb. 27.

Northport Fire Chief Mike Alley said the fire was called in shortly before 1 a.m. as a chimney fire that had possibly spread to the roof of a residence at 174 Rocky Road. However, when Alley arrived on scene, he discovered the fire was contained to the chimney.

Alley said there was some creosote and ash coming out of the chimney that landed on the roof, which might have ignited some shingles, but no significant damage was done to the home.

“There was about a foot and a half burn around the chimney,” Alley said. “The rest of it was covered with snow.”

Two people were home at the time of the fire but no one was injured, Alley said.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at bholbrook@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Go to waldo.villagesoup.com to comment on this story.