A Frankfort family lost their home and three pets to a fire Monday afternoon, March 25.

Searsport Fire Chief Andy Webster said the blaze, which was reported at 409 Swanville Rd. in Frankfort at about 2:25 p.m. Monday, occurred at the residence of Paul Tripp.

Webster said he believed the fire started in the region of the home where the furnace was located. While firefighters were able to keep the flames contained to one or two rooms of the home, Webster said smoke damage rendered the building a total loss.

Webster said no one was home at the time the fire started, and no firefighters were hurt at the scene, but the family lost a dog, a cat and a ferret.

Firefighters from Frankfort Village, West Frankfort, Searsport and Winterport responded to the scene, as did Searsport ambulance personnel. Swanville Road was blocked off to traffic as firefighters attacked the blaze. Webster said fire crews were on the scene for about three hours.

The Maine State Fire Marshal's Office was called to investigate the fire, which Webster said is routine for a structure fire of this kind, and the Red Cross is assisting the family in the aftermath of the fire. Webster said the home was not insured.