A fire that started in the garage of a Knox residence destroyed the home Monday, April 29.

Crews from Freedom, Liberty, Montville, Morrill, Thorndike, Troy, Unity and Waldo responded to the blaze at 455 Belfast Road, which was reported at 3:30 p.m. as a structure and grass fire.

Thorndike Fire Chief Michael Dionne said the residents were home when the fire started, but everyone was able to escape without injury. Ken Grimes of the State Fire Marshal’s office said the fire started in the garage workshop area of the residence, but due to the extent of damage to the home an exact cause could not be determined.

Grimes said three dogs and a cat were unaccounted for after the fire started.

The home was insured, Grimes said.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at bholbrook@courierpublicationsllc.com.