Though it had been an up-and-down season for the Mount View boys soccer team, the No. 12 Mustangs still were in search of pulling off an upset over No. 5 Old Town in an Eastern Class B prelim playoff game on Saturday, Oct. 26.

However, try as it might, the Mustang offense stalled against the Coyotes as the hosts picked up a 3-0 high school pitch victory to eliminate Mount View from postseason play.

Mount View's season ended at 5-8-2.

Old Town (9-5-1) moves on to face No. 4 Presque Isle (11-2-1) in the quarterfinal round.

"We played hard and continued to improve throughout the game," said Mount View coach Chris Hink. "I knew Old Town would be good. I was impressed with there ability to put pressure on players and win balls out of the air with purpose. They also knew how to finish."

On Saturday, C.J. Moody tallied two goals for the Coyotes — the first coming a mere 18 seconds into the game — and the second an insurance goal with 12:25 left in regulation. Tyler Gifford also had a first-half goal for the hosts.

Hink said his squad was taken back by Old Town's quick score.

"Our sweeper got caught up and the ball slipped through," he said. "Our right back had an opportunity to clear it out of bounds but it came so quick that he could not make a quick decision and misplayed it back. An Old Town player just ran by him, breakaway, and finished to the left side of the net with a shot just inside the 18. We were stunned to say the least. I told the boys to stay positive and that they had plenty of time to come back and not to give up."

Mikey Hustus made six saves on 14 shots in goal for Mount View, while Austin Sheehan made seven saves on 13 shots in net for Old Town. The Coyotes also held a 5-3 edge in corner kicks.

Hink said despite the loss, his team "met expectations and, at times, exceeded them throughout the season."

"Once we were able to make adjustments with formation and positional changes we were able to get better as the game went on," he said. "I thought we outplayed them in the second half, which shows how are boys were able to battle even being down by two goals. Next thing you know the game was over. It went by so fast. Great sportsmanship from both teams and the better team won."