A fire destroyed a Monroe home and garage Saturday afternoon, but no one was injured in the blaze.

Monroe Fire Chief Ken Clements said the owner of the home, Toby Farrington, was welding on a vehicle in his garage shortly before 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, when he left to pick up some parts at an auto shop.

Clements said Farrington had been gone only 15 minutes when he received a call from his brother that his garage was on fire.

When firefighters arrived on scene, Clements said the fire had already destroyed the garage and the home was engulfed in flames.

The home was upwind of the attached garage and Clements said the wind blew the flames towards the house.

Crews from Brooks, Jackson, Monroe, West Frankfort, Winterport and an ambulance crew from Brooks responded to the fire. Clements said about 25 firefighters battled the blaze and crews were on scene until about 8:30 p.m. on Saturday.

The fire destroyed the home, the garage and two vehicles, Clements said. He said no injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

Clements said Farrington believed a spark from the welder may have started the fire.

The home and garage were insured, Clements said.