Just four days after sending a playoff opponent home with a lopsided loss, the Searsport District High School girls soccer team felt that same experience, this time against a buzzsaw that, as the Vikings found out, had both teeth and claws.

No. 1 Richmond (14-1) rolled to a 6-1 victory over the No. 4 Vikings (8-4-4) on Friday afternoon in a Western Class D semifinal playoff game on a Burney-Gardner Complex field soaked but rain earlier in the day.

Click for photos from this game.

The game was played in beautiful sunshine and warm fall temperatures, however, the Vikings had few answers for the Bobcats' offensive onslaught.

On Tuesday, Oct. 29, Searsport defeated No. 5 Rangeley (5-7-3) 8-1 in a quarterfinal playoff game. The Vikings did not play Richmond, the three-time defending state Class D champions, during the regular season.

Perhaps the one positive development for the Vikings in Friday's game was they scored against Richmond, which outscored foes 79-9, with nine shutouts, this season, as the Bobcats only suffered a 4-2 loss to Sacopee Valley of Cornish.

This season, the Viking outscored opponents 56-25, with five shutouts.

Richmond, which had a two-week layoff between its final regular-season game and Friday's playoff encounter, moves on to face the semifinal playoff winner of No. 3 Buckfield (9-4-2) and No. 2 Greenville (9-2-3) in the regional final on Wednesday, Nov. 6.

In Friday's semifinal playoff game, Amber Loon and Autumn Acord scored two goals and Meranda Martin and Camryn Hurley one each for Richmond. Anna Bucklin scored for the Vikings, on an assist from Karigen Coffin.

Richmond took a 1-0 lead when Loon received a pass from Kelsea Anair and had a clear path to the net, striking a shot past Searsport goalie Alicen Brooks (8 saves), with 36:17 left in the opening half.

The Vikings tied the game 1-1 with 29:30 remaining when Coffin connected on a cross to Bucklin.

However, the Bobcats took that SDHS score as a wakeup call, of sorts, as the hosts scored four more goals to take a 5-1 halftime cushion. Acord tallied two of those goals, and Martin and Loon the other two of the opening 40 minutes. The times of the final four goals were 21:08, 17:52, 11:52 and 7:19 left in the half. Martin and Haley Murphy added assists for the hosts.

Hurley finished the scoring with 27:03 left in the second half on a long lofting shot that ended inside the far post.

Richmond keeper Kelsi Obi made three saves.

Viking coach R.J. Robertson said his student-athletes played hard against the talented Bobcats and that “effort is never a question with this group.”

“They always give 100 percent in everything they do,” he said. “I thought the biggest difference in the game is how skilled the Richmond players were. Those are not skills that you learn overnight or during the course of one season. It's not a mistake that they have won the last three state [Class D] titles.

With the score 5-1 at halftime, the Vikings played more relaxed in the second half.

"I told them at halftime that the scoreboard is not a concern right now,” said Robertson. “They needed to play the last 40 minutes with some pride [and to] play for one another. Play for everyone who has supported them this season. They have come too far in these two months to just roll over and not compete.”

And the Vikings did that, allowing only one more goal to talented Richmond.