A house fire injured a woman and killed a cat Friday, Nov. 22, Belfast's Fire Chief said.

The fire was reported at 9:18 p.m. at a residence at 43 Pearl Street, and when firefighters arrived on scene, flames were coming out of the windows of the living room in the home, Chief Jim Richards said. He said the homeowner, Pamela Callaway was able to escape the residence, but a cat that was inside the residence died.

Richards said an investigation by fire marshals determined the blaze started either in the couch or a chair in the living room, and the cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

Callaway was taken by Belfast Ambulance to Waldo County General Hospital to be treated for blisters on her legs, Richards said.

Damage to the home was mostly contained to the living room, Richards said. The damage to other portions of the home were due to smoke and heat.

Richards said 17 firefighters were on scene battling the fire Friday evening. No other injuries were reported, he said.