A fire destroyed a van behind a Winterport residence in the late afternoon on Wednesday, Nov. 27.

Winterport Fire Chief Thomas Doe said the fire was reported around 4 p.m. behind a residence on North Main Street after the owner of the van had moved the vehicle about an hour earlier. Doe said neighbors heard a pop and then saw the van was on fire.

When firefighters arrived on scene they extinguished the blaze, but then returned to the scene later in the day after some plywood in the vehicle reignited, Doe said. The van was destroyed, but no injuries were reported as a result of the fire, Doe said.

An investigation by fire marshals determined the fire started in the left, front portion of the engine compartment and Doe said an electrical issue most likely started the blaze.

“You don't have much of a chance unless you are standing right there with a fire extinguisher,” Doe said of trying to save a vehicle after it catches on fire.