The No. 5 Islesboro girls basketball game did not play No. 4 Pine Tree Academy of Freeport during the regular season.

It showed during the Western Class D quarterfinal on Tuesday, Feb. 18 at the Augusta Civic Center, as the Eagles never knew what hit them.

The islanders did not break into the scoring column until 1:19 remainedin the first half as the Breakers cruised to a 56-24 win over the Eagles.

Click for photos from this game.

With the win, Pine Tree Academy (14-3) moves onto the semifinals on Thursday, Feb. 20, where it will face top-ranked Forest Hills of Jackman. The Tigers defeated No. 8 Vinalhaven 70-27 in another Tuesday morning quarterfinal playoff game.

The Breakers had a considerable size advantage over the Eagles (12-5), notably center Kim Emerson, who at 6 feet 1 inch had her way with Islesboro’s interior post players.

Emerson scored 15 points for Pine Tree Academy, while Alex Goodman was the team’s leading scorer with a 23-point effort. Beckie McGuire chipped in with eight points, while Rebecca Moore-Myshrall, four; Allison Verrill, three; Lauren Krueger, two; and Kathryn Kruzich, one.

Autumn Johnson led the islanders with 12 points, while Callie Cook and Kayla Pendleton added four; and Jazmynne Schoppe and Eva Olson, two.

The Breakers were 10-of-20 (50 percent) from the foul line, while the Eagles missed both of their two free-throw attempts.

The Breakers controlled the game from the opening tip — well, there was no opening tip, as the Eagles were called for a jump ball violation as one of their players had occupied an illegal space near the jump circle.

But the ball continued to bounce in PTA’s favor throughout the first half as the hosts led 7-0 after the first quarter and 28-2 at halftime. Goodman scored the team’s first five points while Emerson added a field goal with time winding down in the stanza.

The Breakers pulled away in the second quarter as they outscored the islanders 21-2, with Johnson’s field goal coming off a steal and fastbreak with 1:18 remaining.

The Eagles seemed to loosen up in the second half and netted their share of field goals, including a pair of 3-pointers by Johnson. But the damage already had been done as the islanders could get no closer than 25 points in the second half.

The islanders trailed 39-17 after three quarters.