A former Islesboro basketball coach accused of having sexual contact with three teenage girls is asking the court to suppress statements he made to police prior to his arrest, arguing that he gave those statements without first being read his Miranda rights.

Former Camden resident and Islesboro coach Travis Tatro, 30, is facing 28 charges relating to the police investigation that resulted in his arrest in November of last year. The charges include 16 counts of gross sexual assault, eight counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, three counts of sexually explicit materials of minors under 12 years of age and one count of unlawful sexual contact.

Tatro, who has since relocated to the Thomaston area, has been free on $20,000 real estate surety bail and must adhere to conditions that include no direct or indirect contact with people under the age of 18, with the exception of a younger relative, according to court documents.

Court records state that Tatro's attorney, Walter McKee, filed a motion to suppress statements his client made to police prior to his arrest on April 7. The court has since scheduled a hearing on that motion for Thursday, May 1 at 1 p.m. at Waldo County Superior Court in Belfast.

Tatro served as the basketball coach on Islesboro for two years before being dismissed in August, state previously published reports. He then moved to Camden from Islesboro where he continued to coach basketball in Knox County. Tatro also served for a time as the Islesboro athletic director.

A Waldo County Grand Jury indicted Tatro on 16 counts of gross sexual assault as well as one count of unlawful sexual contact and sexual exploitation of a minor, charges that involved two alleged victims. That indictment was sealed until Tatro's arrest at his Camden residence in November of last year.

Tatro pleaded not guilty to those charges when he was arraigned at 5th District Court late last year.

The victims in the case are two teenage girls. The Maine State Police began investigating allegations against Tatro in early November. Court records state the alleged abuse involving the two victims began in March 2011 and continued through August 2013.

Then on Feb. 12, Tatro was charged in a superseding grand jury indictment that resulted in the additional charges after a third alleged victim came forward, court records state.