The Islesboro Fire Department was able to quickly knock down a small grass fire at the transfer station the morning of Friday, May 9.

Fire Chief Murt Durkee said the fire was reported around 10 a.m. after a fire spread into some nearby dry grass. He said a crew was on scene for about 20 to 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze and to wet down the surrounding area.

He said no one was injured as a result of the fire.

During the evening of Wednesday, May 7, firefighters responded to a structure fire at 455 West Bay Road at 7:27 p.m. The fire was called in by an off-duty public safety officer who saw the flames, which started in some bark mulch outside of the home.

Durkee said the fire spread to a partially enclosed porch connected the home before it worked its way inside an exterior door, windows and walls.

An investigator from the fire marshals office and an insurance investigator went to the home Friday morning, Durkee said. While officials are still unsure of the exact cause of the fire, Durkee said he believes the blaze may have been caused by an improperly disposed of cigarette butt.

It took firefighters less than an hour to extinguish the fire, but Durkee said crews stayed on the property until about 12:30 a.m. to make sure there were not any hot spots that would reignite.

He said the cottage, which is owned by Darrell and Nancy Crate, was being readied for the summer months. No one was home at the time of the fire, he said.

The home is not habitable due to damage from the fire and extensive smoke damage throughout the house, Durkee said, but the home is insured.

Durkee said 18 members of the fire department, nearly the entire force, responded to the fire, as well as Islesboro Amublance and police.

Durkee noted that it was fortunate the off duty officer noticed the fire because the home's fire alarm system did not immediately trigger because the fire started outside of the structure. He said the fire alarm did eventually trip once the fire worked its way into the home.

“Good timing and a quick response made the most difference,” Durkee said.

No one was injured while battling the cottage fire, Durkee said.