Fans packed the Wiscasset Speedway grandstands on a bright afternoon Saturday, May 2 for what proved to be exciting racing.

On the schedule were the group one division including Thunder 4s, New England Four-Cylinder Pro Stocks, NAPA Super Street and Pro Stocks. The flex race of the week were the Wicked Good Vintage Racers.

Starting the night was the Spotlight race, a 30-lap Thunder 4 Mini main event. Heat winner Leandra Martin started at the pole. Behind were Aaron Sevigny and Michael Golding. Despite several cautions at the start, Martin was able to hold onto her lead, and those behind her had their work cut out for them to catch up. Gerard Cote swept to second, and Aaron Sevigny spun out, which allowed David Stone Jr. to take third by lap three.

Starting in eighth was Ryan Chadwick. Chadwick expertly maneuvered his car through the pack to take second by lap five, and Jamie Heath moved up to third. Chadwick looked for his opportunity to pass Martin, but Martin was able to hold him off until they hit lap traffic during lap 22. The duo came out of turn four and parted, with Alison Glasier between them. Chadwick emerged a nose ahead and went on to solidify his lead and to ultimately take the win. Martin placed second and Heath third.

A 25-lap New England Four-Cylinder Pro Stocks was next. The fans were excited to see the rivalry between Jeff Prindall and Kamren Knowles continue. Rivalry began last year when Kamren Knowles, a 14-year-old driver, gave track veteran Prindall competition at the track. Kamren Knowles was the 2014 NEFCP champ, and Prindall was runner-up. This year the top spot is already heated between the pair, and Saturday’s race was a crowd-pleaser.

Starting at the pole was Brooke Knowles and behind were Cameron Folsom and John Shorey. Right off the start Kamren Knowles leapt to the forefront, with Prindall hot on his heels in second. Ryan Hayes was right behind them, looking for his chance to pass both on the track.

Door-to-door racing ensued with Prindall looking for his chance to pass Kamren Knowles. A caution during lap 13 caused a restart. When racing resumed, Prindall got ahead by a nose. By lap 16, Kamren Knowles had pulled back to the front by a short margin, with Prindall to the side, and Hayes directly behind. During lap 19, Prindall and Hayes made contact on the track causing Hayes to spin. Jacob Hensbee advanced to third.

There was an exciting restart. Kamren Knowles was in first, but Prindall was to his side, racing neck and neck for the lead. Prindall had to fall back behind Knowles. Hayes weaved through lap traffic, making his way back to the third spot.

Then, during lap 23 everything changed. When coming out of turn four the pair made contact with Kamren Knowles going to the infield in a spin. He kept going and no caution was called. Prindall took the lead with Hayes moving to second and Hensbee third.

Kamren Knowles raced to catch the leaders, and as they all went around turn four heading to the finish, a jumble on the track give Kamren Knowles the chance he needed to pass Hayes, who had gotten caught in the mess, and swept to a third. Prindall took the checkered. Hensbee placed second.

The Wicked Good Vintage Racers provided a show for fans with a 20-lap Late Model and Modfiedsevent. Brian Hughes started at the pole, and kept the position. Kevin Waterhouse moved up to the side of Brian Hughes and the pair set the pace for the race. Steve Reny and Keith Smalley battled for third, with Reny took third at the finish. Brian Hughes grabbed the win, with Waterhouse second.

A second 20-lap Wicked Good Vintage Racer event was next on the agenda, with Late Model Sportsman and Outlaws competing. Scott Tucker had the pole with Bob Guyon and Woody Davis behind. Guyon took an early lead. Coming up from behind was Arthur Hannaford. Hannaford passed Davis for third before the completion of the first lap.

Moving rapidly from last place was James Osmond. Osmond passed Hannaford during lap three, to take third. Osmond passed both Guyon and Tucker on the outside during lap five to take the lead. Osmond looked out the rear view mirror at his competitors trying to catch up for the remainder of the race. Guyon dropped back with mechanical issues with only a lap remaining. Tucker kept the second spot, and Hannaford placed third. Osmond took the win.

The NAPA Super Streets were the next crowd-pleasers. This 25-lap feature was more of a demolition derby than a race event. The antics on the track had the fans cheering wildly. However, a fifth caution during lap 17 had race officials declaring the next flag, caution or checkered, would end the race.

Right off the start, Mark Lucas took the lead from Zac Poland. Josh Bailey moved to second and Adam Chadbourne to third. Lucas was a strong contender, and the majority of the race saw Lucas and Bailey battle for the lead, with Chadbourne waiting for either of the pair to make a mistake. A lap-14 caution saw Lucas get sent to the back of the pack, and although he was able to make it back into the top five, he was out of contention for the win.

The last restart during lap 17 was action-packed, with Jason Curtis in the lead. Bailey passed him, to secure first, and Chadbourne and Curtis battled for second. Chadbourne advanced to second. Bailey took the checkered, Chadbourne second and Curtis rounded out the top three.

The show finale was a 40-lap Pro Stock feature. Starting at the pole was Nate Tribbet. Behind him were Maggie Ferland and Mike Orr. Ferland took an early lead, with Orr second. Ajay Picard moved to third from his sixth-place start by the end of lap one.

Starting in ninth was Jeff Burgess. Burgess put on a show, moving up through the pack, and by lap five took the lead. Andy Saunders passed Orr during lap nine on the outside of turn three to take third. Saunders then passed Ferland during lap 11 for second.

Starting in fifth was the Nick Hinkley. Hinkley was forced to the back to 12th after spinning on the initial start of the race. Hinkley worked his way through the field and advanced to third when he passed Ferland on the outside during lap 15.

Leaders remained constant through the remainder of the race. Burgess took the win, Saunders placed second and Hinkley third.

The individual race results were:

Thunder 4 (30 laps) — 1. Ryan Chadwick, Wiscasset; 2. Leandra Martin, Richmond; 3. Jamie Heath, Waterford; 4. David Stone Jr., Sanford; 5. Gerard Cote, Oxford; 6. Craig Pyy, Gorham; 7. Aaron Sevigny, Windsor; 8. Michael Golding, Pownal; 9. Alison Glasier, Appleton; 10. David Greenleaf, Brunswick; 11. Roy Sevigny, Windsor; 12. David Stone Sr., Sanford; 13. Noah Haggett, Wiscasset.

New England Four-Cylinder Pro Stocks (25 laps) — 1. Jeff Prindall, Lisbon Falls; 2. Jacob Hensbee, Whitefield; 3. Kamren Knowles, West Gardiner; 4. Ryan Hayes, Jefferson; 5. John Shorey, Alna; 6. Cameron Folsom, Augusta; 7. Cody Billings, Hartford; 8. Tyler Bailey, Wiscasset; 9. Brooke Knowles, West Gardiner; and 10. Mike Kibbin, South China.

NAPA Super Street (25 laps) — 1. Josh Bailey, Wiscasset; 2. Adam Chadbourne, Woolwich; 3. Jason Curtis, Hollis; 4. Mark Lucas, Harpswell; 5. Jamie Norton, Farmingdale; 6. Zac Poland, Woolwich; 7. Brandon Sprague, Edgecomb; and 8. Tasha Dyer, Arrowsic.

Pro Stocks (40 laps) — 1. Jeff Burgess, East Madison; 2. Andy Saunders, Ellsworth; 3. Nick Hinkley, Wiscasset; 4. James Osmond, Wiscasset; 5. Maggie Ferland, Auburn; 6. Nathan Tribbet, Richmond; 7. Ajay Picard, Palmyra; 8. Kevin Morse, Woolwich; 9. Wyatt Alexander, Ellsworth; 10. Mike Orr, Wiscasset; 11. Driver name unavailable; 12. Dylan Turner, Freedom; and 13. Westley Turner, Freedom

Wicked Good Vintage Racers Late Model and Modifieds (20 laps) — 1. Brian Hughes, Otisfield; 2. Kevin Waterhouse, West Paris; 3. Steve Reny, Boothbay; 4. Keith Smalley, Warren; 5. George Harding, Fairfield; 6. Mark Hughes, Milton Mills, N.H.; 7. Hal Clark, Brighton; and 8. Jody Lewis, Boothbay.

Wicked Good Vintage Racers Sportsman and Outlaws (20 laps) — 1. James Osmond, Wiscasset; 2. Scott Tucker, Winthrop; 3. Arthur Hannaford, Hollis; 4. Woody Davis, Glenburn; 5. Bob Guyon, Monmouth; 6.  Dean Grant, Detroit; and 7. Dennis Fish, Livermore Falls.

Lisa Maguire writes for Wiscasset Speedway.

Courier Publications' sports staff can be reached by email at or by phone at 594-4401.