Smoke in the basement of a residence in Belfast prompted a response from the fire department late in the morning of June 30.

Belfast Fire Chief Jim Richards said residents of the house at 23 Claire's Way discovered there was smoke in the basement around 11 a.m. and were concerned it could be an electrical fire. Claire's Way is located off of Route 3 opposite Edgecomb Road.

When fire fighters arrived, they determined the smoke was caused by some faulty wiring near the home's water pump.

Richards said firefighters were able to vent the smoke out of the basement. He said there was no damage to the home.