Wiscasset Speedway celebrated its 46th birthday on Saturday, July 25. The night was presented by Maine State Bureau of Highway Safety. Drivers from past and present gathered to celebrate the day and participated in a driver recognition ceremony during intermission.

Champions’ Night drivers included Ed Pierpont, Steve Pierpont, Vern Hodgkins, Dale Chadbourne, Adam Chadbourne, Dan Trask, Scott Chubbuck, Mike Delaney, Nick Hinkley, Brett Mank, Gave Gabrey, Mike Moody, Alan Moeller Sr., Jeff Burgess, Steve Reny, Kamren Knowles, Maurice Young, Daryl Cook, Scott Delano, Jeff Jackson, Eddie Bellows, Casey Nash, Neil Reny and Chester Rice.

The Four Season Synthetic driver for the month for June also was announced as Michael Harrison of Durham. The Maine Vintage Racing Association Mobile Museum was on hand for fans to visit.

Cupcakes were passed out to a multitude of fans who had filled the grandstands for the event. The finale of the evening, presented after four racing features, was a fireworks display.

The group one division of racing was on the agenda, including NAPA Super Streets, New England 4-Cylinder Pro Stocks, Thunder Four Minis and Pro Stock.

Starting the racing was a spotlighted 35-lap NAPA Super Street event. The event was filled with action and began with Jamie Norton at the pole. To his right was Brandon Sprague. Behind the pair was Zac Poland.

The opening lap saw Jason Curtis advance to second. Poland moved to first. Dan Trask moved from seventh to third. Norton, who had fallen off the pace, went to the back of the pack.

During lap four Curtis took the lead, and Adam Chadbourne passed Trask and Poland for second. Mark Lucas followed Chadbourne up the track and moved into third. There was a caution during lap six. When green flag racing began, Lucas passed Chadbourne on the inside of turn two and took second. Trask passed Chadbourne for third on the inside track during lap seven.

Lucas headed to the outside during lap 11 and began to race door-to-door with Curtis for the lead. The duo raced for four laps, with each briefly taking the lead. It was not until lap 15 that Lucas was able to complete a pass to become new race leader. Josh Bailey, who started in ninth position, had moved up through the ranks. During lap 24, Bailey passed Trask for third on the outside of turn four. Despite a race caution for debris on the track, race leaders remained constant until the finish.

Lucas, who was the Modified points leader, claimed his first NAPA Super Street win. Curtis finished second. Placing third was Bailey.

Bailey entered Saturday’s race as points leader, with 358. Second in points was Adam Chadbourne. Curtis was third with 236.

A New England 4-Cylinder Pro Stock was action-packed through the finish. Starting at the pole was Cody Billings in this 25-lap feature event. In secon  position was Brooke Knowles. Behind was Mike Kibbin.

It was a speedy start, and there was a top-three leader change when Kibbin spun on the back stretch, which allowed John Shorey to advance to third.

Proving to be a force on the track was Alex Waltz. He started near the back of the pack in ninth, but by lap three had worked into the top five. Waltz passed Shorey on the outside of turn two for third during lap three, then passed Brooke Knowles on turn four for second.

During lap five, there was a red flag caution when five cars from the middle of the pack got caught in a jumble out of turn one. After the debris was cleared, and green flag racing began, there was another caution. This caution involved race leaders Brooke Knowles, Shorey and Billings. All went to the back of the pack.

There was a new race order after the caution, with Waltz in the lead, Kamren Knowles in second and Jeff Prindall in third.

Prindall passed Kamren Knowles during the lap five restart for second. Jacob Hendsbee passed Kamren Knowles during lap six for third. There was a third caution when Kibbin spun on the track.

On the restart, Hendsbee passed Prindall for second. Hendsbee looked ahead for an opportunity to pass Waltz, but Waltz gave him no opening to complete a pass, and Hendsbee could not complete an outside passing attempt during lap 16.

Then a battle for third brewing. Prindall, in third, was holding off Kamren Knowles, but after several laps of Kamren Knowles attempting to bump Prindall out of the way, Prindall went into a spin after contact. Prindall went to the back of the pack, and Kamren Knowles advanced to third.

In an exciting finish, Waltz and Hendsbee raced door to door, each briefly taking the lead. Fans were cheering and on the edge of their seats. When the checkered came out, Waltz was 2/1000’s of a second ahead of Hendsbee over the finish, taking the win.

Hendsbee placed second. Rounding out the top three was Kamren Knowles.

Kamren Knowles was the current points leader in the division. Hendsbee was second in points, 40 points below Kamren Knowles . Prindall was third coming into the race.

A caution-free 20-lap Thunder Four Mini feature was quick, but filled with plenty of action.

On the pole was Jeff Minchin Jr. To his side was Michael Harrison. Starting in third was Michael Golding. Harrison shot to the lead at the start. Minchin moved to second. Curtis Anderson went inside and passed Golding on the back stretch for third during lap four.

Staring in 10th was Ryan Chadwick. Chadwick came up from behind, and during lap six, passed Anderson for third on the outside of turn two. During lap 12, Chadwick again headed to the outside, and passed Minchin for second. Chadwick looked for his chance to take the lead. His opportunity came during lap 15, and Chadwick passed Harrison for the lead.

Behind there was a race for third, and when Minchin went up high on the track, Anderson took the inside groove and passed for third. Race leaders remained constant until the finish. However, Chadwick failed post-race inspection.

Harrison took the win. Anderson placed second, and Cody Tribbet third.

A 40-lap Pro Stock race wrapped the races. The race was marked by two cautions which significantly affected race outcome. Starting at the pole was Maggie Ferland. To her right was Wyatt Alexander. In third was Evan Beaulieu.

It was a close-quarter race, with most in a tight pack, except for race leader Alexander, who was a quarter-lap ahead of Ferland. During lap seven, Ferland and Beaulieu made contact and Ferland spun sideways on the front stretch. Scott Fowler got caught up and went into the front stretch wall and ended up in front the pit row entrance with Nick Hinkley, whom also got caught up, wedged between Fowler and the wall. Scott Chubbuck swerved to the left to avoid Ferland; however, the entire right side of the car was ripped off, which sent Ferland to the right.

All drivers were able to walk away from the crashes with no significant injury, a testament to the safety equipment cars have installed in them. All of the involved cars were towed to the pits with none able to resume racing.

The new racing order was Alexander in the lead, and Andy Saunders in second. In third was Nate Tribbet.

When the green flag came down, Saunders shot like a rocket to the forefront, which left his competitors behind. James Osmond advanced to second, and Mike Moody moved to third. Alexander was left behind, and Tribbet moved to fourth.

Moody searched for an opening to advance to second, but a determined Osmond was able to hold him off until lap 37. Moody came up under the rear of Osmond on the front stretch and Osmond spun up into the turn one wall. The caution was thrown, but Joe Decker came up from behind and broadsided Osmond in a significant accident. All drivers came to a stop while the track was cleared.

Osmond and Decker were able to walk away from the wreckage, but both cars needed to be towed from the track.

The new running order was Saunders in the lead. Jeff Burgess in second, and Beaulieu in third. When racing was underway, Burgess and Beaulieu made contact on the backstretch. Burgess had trouble getting the car handling well again, and fell back in position. Beaulieu advanced to second, and Kevin Morse moved to third.

Saunders claimed his first Pro Stock win of the season. Saunders was third in points coming into Saturday’s race, with 296. First in points was Burgess with 326. Osmond, with 300 points, was second.

The individual race results for July 25 were:

NAPA Super Street (35 laps) — 1, Mark Lucas, Harpswell; 2, Jason Curtis, Hollis; 3, Josh Bailey, Wiscasset; 4, Dan Trask, Chelsea; 5, Tasha Dyer, Arrowsic; 6, Brandon Sprague, Edgecomb; 7, Adam Chadbourne, Wiscasset; 8, Zac Poland, Woolwich; 9, Brad Bellows, China; and 10, Jamie Norton, Farmingdale.

New England 4-Cylinder Pro Stock (25 laps) — 1, Alex Waltz, Walpole; 2, Jacob Hendsbee, Whitefield; 3, Kamren Knowles, West Gardiner; 4, John Shorey, Alna; 5, Tyler Bailey, Wiscasset; 6, Jeff Prindall, Lisbon Falls; 7, Brooke Knowles, West Gardiner; 8, Cody Billings, Hartford; 9, Mike Kibbin, South China; 10, Cameron Folson, Augusta; 11, Tim Jeski, Drakut, Mass; and 12, Connon Wenners, Edgecomb.

Thunder 4s (20 laps) — 1, Michael Harrison, Durham; 2, Curtis Anderson, Richmond; 3, Cody Tribbett, Richmond; 4, Noah Haggett, Wiscasset; 5, Leandra Martin, Richmond; 6, Michael Golding, Pownal; 7, David Greenleaf, Brunswick; 8, Jeff Minchin Jr., Pittston; 9, Aaron Sevigny, Windsor; 10, Robert McDonald, Smithfield; and 11, Jeff Davis, Woolwich.

Pro Stock (40 laps) — 1, Andy Saunders, Ellsworth; 2, Evan Beaulieu, Durham; 3, Kevin Morse, Woolwich; 4, Nathan Tribbet, Richmond; 5, Jeff Burgess, Fairfield; 6, James Osmond, Wiscasset; 7, Mike Moody, Topsham; 8, Joe Decker, Chesterville; 9, John Rideout, Washington; 10, Wyatt Alexander, Ellsworth; 11, Travis Dunbar, Auburn; 12, Ken Beasely, Richmond; 13, Maggie Ferland, Auburn; 14, Scott Fowler, Sidney; 15, Nick HInkley, Wiscasset; and 16, Scott Chubbuck, Bowdoin.

Lisa Maguire writes for Wiscasset Speedway.

Courier Publications' sports staff can be reached by email at sports@villagesoup.com or by phone at 594-4401.