The true mark of a standout all-around athlete is the ability to excel in a number of different sporting activities and one competition that demonstrates that at the youth and adult level is the grueling, physically- and mentally-demanding triathlon.

And, once again, Kyle Wood, along with Camden Hills Regional High School schoolmate Katherine Dailey, proved, at the national level, among the most versatile, dedicated and diverse young athletes in the Midcoast.

That is because Wood, as well as Dailey, competed in the national high school triathlon championships on Friday, April 21.

Wood finished an impressive 14th among 75 talented high school boys from around the country. He actually initially finished 10th, but was assessed a two-minute penalty for not putting his helmet in his proper transition area space.

The sprint triathlon included a 750-meter swim, 13.1-mile bike and 3.2-mile run.

Wood finished the course in one hour and nine minutes.

It was the second straight year Wood, a Lincolnville resident and Camden Hills junior who also has competed in cross country, mountain biking, swimming and track and field for the Windjammers, participated in the national triathlon event.

Dailey, also a standout all-around school athlete, also competed in this year's national event. Wood and Dailey were the only two Maine competitors in the event. It was Dailey's first national championship competition. She finished 45th (her time was unavailable).

After finishing 27th in the same event in 2016, Wood said he was pleased with his 14th-place finish this spring. "The heat was a bit of an issue," he said. "Racing in 85-degree weather is not something I am used to at this point in the season."

He added, "I was not able to ride [my bicycle] outside very often due to the weather [in Maine]."

Wood said he went to this year's race after spending a considerable amount of time training inside due to the tough Maine winter and spring weather.

It was the first race of the season for Wood, who said he had a tough swim when he got caught up in a slower pack of swimmers and came out of the water for the first transition in 24th.

After getting on his bike, Wood started to pull himself back into the race by passing other racers along the 13-mile course. At the end of the bike portion, Wood had moved from 24th to 10th heading into the transition between the bike and run.

After making a quick shoe change, Wood headed off on his final run before he remembered he still had on his helmet. It was then that he took the helmet off and threw it by a tree and took off to finish the run portion of the competition.

The officials saw his action and Wood was assessed a two-minute penalty for not placing his helmet in its proper place.

On the run, Wood maintained his position and finished strong in 10th, before being dropped to 14th due to the helmet penalty.