The Belfast Water District has recently been in the news, both locally and statewide. The waterworks, located at the mouth of the Little River was turned on for the first time Dec. 1, 1887. Connections made by the company that year were only to hydrants and four combined watering troughs and drinking fountains. Water connections to buildings began in 1888, and by 1891, there were 50 hydrants and 317 subscribers. This postcard was made in the early 1900s by local photographer Charles A. Townsend.


Photograph courtesy of the Belfast Museum