Tenants of an apartment building were evacuated Friday morning after a suspected gas leak was reported.

The call went out to Searsport Fire Department around 11:15 a.m. June 15, reporting a possible gas leak at the Seabreeze Apartment building on Prospect Street in Searsport.

Searsport Police confirmed one of two propane tanks was "hissing" and said a tenant who had his window open smelled the odor and called it in.

Dead River Co. officials recommended everyone in the building be evacuated until a technician could arrive to assess the situation.

Searsport Fire Chief Andy Webster said at the scene "something was leaking" — possibly the regulator — and that the fuel company most likely would swap out the device when they arrived. He said the tank valve was shut off and no gas was leaking a short time after emergency responders arrived.

Tom S., the tenant who made the call and asked only to be identified by his first name, said it smelled "really strong for a couple of seconds."

He said he looked over the tank and decided to "play it safe."

"I'm glad it didn't blow," he said. "I'd be the first one to go," referring to the proximity of his apartment to the tank.

Searsport Ambulance crews checked out one tenant who complained of a severe headache. No other injuries were reported.