Maine Supreme Judicial Court has denied Miranda Hopkins' appeal of her manslaughter conviction for the death of her 7-week-old son the night of Jan. 11, 2017.

Hopkins, through her attorney Laura Shaw, said the court erred when it denied a motion to suppress statements Hopkins made to police during five interviews, and later gave the jury a confusing definition of "concurrent causation," which would have determined her culpability in the case. Additionally, Hopkins argued that the evidence was not sufficient to support the jury's conclusion that she "recklessly or with criminal negligence, caused the death of her baby."

According to court documents, Hopkins told police she had been drinking Fireball whiskey, smoking marijuana, and had taken Benadryl on the night of the incident. She reported falling asleep and waking to find her infant son lying next to her cold, white and “beat to hell.”

Hopkins told police that she didn't know what had happened and suggested that the baby must have been killed by one of his two autistic older brothers, a 6-year-old and an 8-year-old, who were sleeping at the house that night.

The law court's decision indicates that the jury wrestled with the concept of "concurrent causation" but was given instructions for interpreting the law similar to those proposed by the defense.

"Direct evidence of a defendant's exact actions in committing a crime is not required," the decision states. "The fact-finder 'may properly find beyond a reasonable doubt that a defendant acted recklessly or with criminal negligence based solely on circumstantial evidence.'"

The law court ruled that Hopkins' statements to police were voluntary, initially because she called 911 and was not in police custody, and later because she was read her Miranda rights at the start of several interviews. The defense argued that she was not read her rights before subsequent interviews, but the law court ruled that the interviews occurred within a short time of one another and therefore a new reading was not required, and in one case was declined by Hopkins.

Hopkins was convicted of manslaughter on Nov. 17, 2017 and sentenced to 18 years in prison with all but 13 years suspended, to be followed by four years of probation.