Eight fire departments responded to a blaze that broke out at one of the cabins at Hidden Valley Camp on Aug. 31.

Montville Fire Chief John York said that at approximately 9:48 p.m. on Friday, a call came in alerting the department about the blaze.

Montville and Freedom crews arrived first at Hidden Valley Road off Center Road. One 25-by-30-foot cabin was engulfed in flames, York said, and the fire "blew the windows out."

The fire quickly spread to a second adjacent cabin and threatened a third, York said.

The blaze was contained fairly quickly, he said, though it took time to "soak it down" and five different hot spots flared up during the night, requiring additional attention.

"The crews worked pretty good together," York said.

No one was injured in the fire. The two cabins are a total loss and up to 15 trees will need to come down, York said. A third cabin was doused with water and will need to be re-sided and treated for smoke damage.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.

Peter Kassen, who has owned Hidden Valley Camp with his wife Meg for the last 30 years, said he feels very fortunate and is thankful for all of the community support received following the fire.

"All kinds of things could have made this situation much worse," Kassen said, noting the weather was not an issue, it was early enough that few people were asleep and there were enough people at the camp to alert the fire department.

It could have been different if there were young campers in residence, he said, but the two people who were in the cabins that burned got out safely.

A wedding planned for Sunday afternoon was not disrupted, Kassen said.

"By the next morning we had power and water," he said.

The Kassens intend to rebuild and plan to begin the site work soon.

"The insurance company gave us the go ahead, and site prep work will take place today or tomorrow," Kassen said on Sept. 5.

Hidden Valley has been around since the late 1940s according to camp's website. The Kassens took over in 1988, and expanded the operation to what it is now.

A post on the camp's Facebook page read, "We will rest easy knowing that all is well and the camp and its neighbors rallied once again when community spirit was needed," (Peter and Meg).

Crews from Montville, Freedom, Liberty, Searsmont, Morrill, Belmont, Thorndike and Unity responded. Washington and Lincolnville fire crews were on standby.