A pair of 1-2 high school football squads hit the gridiron on Friday night, Sept. 21 at Wasgatt Field as Oceanside and Belfast had visions of climbing the suddenly log-jammed Class C North playoff ladder and ascending to a higher rung.

And whether it was the home-field advantage, or the stinging of a 7-6 loss to Midcoast-rival Medomak Valley a week prior, a fire was lit under the Mariners’ offense on Friday as they scored early, often and across the board in a 48-22 victory over the Lions.

Watch video, and see more photos, below.

Oceanside held a 14-0 lead after the first quarter and 28-14 at halftime.

Ben Ripley and Zach Cody led the Oceanside rushing attack as Ripley rushed for 147 yards on 14 carries and two touchdowns, while Cody racked up 136 yards on 14 carries.

Cody added a two-point conversion and also hauled in one of two touchdown passes — a 75-yard score — from quarterback Elliot Lucier.

Lucier, who was 2-of-3 under center, also tossed a 12-yard touchdown to Karl Ilvonen.

Also chipping in on the ground for the Mariners were Mikey Yates (8 carries for 40 yards, TD), Jacob Curtis (2 carries for 11 yards, TD) and Finnegan Lynch (2 carries for 56 yards, TD, 2-point conversion).

For the Lions, Dylan Abbott tossed a pair of touchdowns to Tanner Veilleux — a 13-yard strike in the second quarter and 20-yard score in the fourth — while Jack Hansen returned a kickoff 70 yards for a touchdown before halftime. Isaak Cunningham also had roughly 70 yards on the ground for the visitors, which Chris Kelley added a two-point conversion.

The Lions also recorded a safety against the Mariners.

Oceanside took an 8-0 lead after a long, methodical drive on the ground in the first quarter, which culminated with a short-yardage score by Yates and a two-point conversion by Cody.

After the next Belfast drive stalled, Lucier found Cody on a short pass, which the speedy receiver turned into a 75-yard touchdown to put the hosts ahead 14-0.

Ripley then scored a short touchdown on Oceanside’s next possession — followed by a two-point conversion from Cody — to put the hosts up 22-0.

Belfast then went on a long drive as Abbott found Veilleux cutting across the middle of the field for a 13-yard score to pull the visitors within 22-6.

Lucier seemingly ended the first-half scoring when he connected with Ilvonen on a 12-yard touchdown pass to make the score 28-6 with about 30 seconds to play, but Hansen motored up the right sideline for a 70-yard kickoff return — coupled with a two-point conversion catch by Kelley — to make the score 28-14 at halftime.

Ripley helped put the game on ice on Oceanside’s first possession of the third quarter when he scampered for a long gain, which ended with a short-yardage touchdown by Curtis.

In the Maine Principals’ Association Heal Point Standings for Class C North, Oceanside (2-2, 14.0625 points) is sixth, while Belfast (1-3, 12.5000 points) is seventh. Maine Central Institute of Pittsfield (3-1, 48.4375 points) is first in the 11-team region. The top eight teams qualify for the playoffs.