For the regular season, the Mount View boys soccer team did not taste defeat.

Game in and out, the Mustangs bested foes on the road and at home, and for the second straight year, found themselves in the Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference Class B championship game to face an opponent the Thorndike-based squad did not see during the campaign.

That foe was Maranacook of Readfield, who dealt the Mustangs a 5-0 loss in the league title clash in 2017, and same opponent, who, again, bested the undefeated Mustangs 3-1 on Thursday night, Oct. 18 in another KVAC pitch battle on the fast artificial surface under the lights at Lincoln Academy.

Watch video, and see more photos, below.

The Black Bears, who toil in Class C North and won last year's state Class C championship (as well as three of the past five state titles, led 2-1 at halftime.

Mount View came into the contest at 14-0, while Maranacook was 12-2. The league game outcome does not factor into either team's overall record or regional playoff Heal Point standing.

"We knew coming in that [Maranacook] was going to be a tough opponent," said Mount View head coach Dale Hustus. "There's no doubt about it, Maranacook, even on a down year, is always going to have a good team."

On a cool, crisp fall night, the Mustangs, who outscored opponents 80-12, with six shutouts in 14 regular-season games, came out of the gate with a lot of horsepower.

Mount View controlled possession of the ball and almost took an early lead, but a shot rung off the post in the first 10 minutes of action.

Five minutes later, the Black Bears, who outscored opponents 48-7, with nine shutouts, during the regular season, followed suit, as their shot rung off the left post, just past the dive of Mustang keeper Ricky Nelson.

Maranacook capitalized at the 17:09-mark of the first half, when Mitchell Root's shot scurried along the turf — and went past the dive of Nelson — to put the Black Bears ahead.

A minute-and-a-half later, Maranacook padded its lead. Wyatt Lambert took a direct kick and buried the shot into the top right corner of the net from 30 yards.

The Mustangs finally got on the board with 7:58 remaining before the half.

Mount View's Elijah Allen led teammate Cassidy Pound with a pass that got behind the defense, and Pound sent ripples through the net, which pulled the Mustangs within one goal.

Maranacook extended its lead back to two goals with just over six minutes into the second half.

Off a throw-in that soared into the middle of the box, Black Bear Eric Vining connected, but the shot was stopped by Mount View's Matthew Overlock in front of the net. Maranacook's Aric Belanger flew in, connected on the rebound, which glanced off Mount View goalie Declan Knowlton — who replaced Nelson late in the first half — and went into the side of the net for the goal.

"We've historically not had the best luck on this field," said Hustus. "We tend to play on real grass [most of the season], but the reality of it is, you have to be able to play the game whether you are on turf or grass."

"A big congratulations to [Maranacook], they played a heck of a game tonight, and we have a couple of things to work on coming out of this game," said Hustus.

"I'm really hoping [this loss motivates the team]," said Hustus. "We knew coming in that this would be a good test for us. We played with them the entire game, and when you can play with a team the quality of Maranacook, we are going to be alright going forward."

"It certainly doesn't feel good to lose," said Hustus. "We'll learn and grow from it though."

Official shots, corner kicks and goalie saves from the game were not kept, thus were unavailable. Ryan Worster played in goal for Maranacook.

Next, Mount View, the third team in Class B North, will host No. 14 Medomak Valley of Waldoboro (5-7-2) on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 1 p.m. in a regional prelim playoff game in Thorndike.

Maranacook, the third team in Class C South, will host No. 6 Winthrop (10-4) on Tuesday, Oct. 23 in the quarterfinals.