The Mount View boys soccer team was the only squad in Class B North to end the regular season undefeated.

However, emotions ran high for the No. 3 Mustangs in their quarterfinal playoff clash on Tuesday, Oct. 23 against No. 7 Brewer as a penalty kick by the Witches was the lone goal for either side until midway through the second half.

While the Mustangs were, ultimately, able to break into the scoring column and knot the score, they were forced to play a player down for the final 20 minutes of the emotionally-charged postseason game, which proved to be too significant of a hurdle to overcome as the Witches held on and stunned the ‘Stangs with a 3-2 victory.

Watch video, and see more photos, below.

With the win, Brewer advances to the semifinals, where it will play at No. 2 Presque Isle (11-1-2) or host No. 7 Old Town (7-6-2) in a playoff encounter.

Mount View saw its season conclude at 15-1.

On Tuesday, Brewer held a 1-0 lead at halftime.

Trey Baker converted a pair of penalty kicks for the Witches, while Braeden Swett netted a long-range free kick late in the second half to help the visitors pull away.

Damien Doughty and Darrett Fowler netted second-half goals for the Mustangs.

“My boys played hard and they played all the way to the end,” said Mount View coach Dale Hustus. “And we came up short today. And not for any fault of our own. We just couldn’t seem to make the opportunities count.”

The game was physical start to finish with players on each team issued yellow cards, though it was Mount View that was dealt the more difficult hand to overcome.

Senior captain Andrew Savoy was yellow carded in the first and second halves — which, consequently, equates to a red card and disqualification — and the Mustangs were forced to play a player down over the final 20:07 of the game.

Hustus said, “It definitely had an impact.”

A player who receives a yellow card must, by rule, be taken out of the game, but can be put back into the game at the discretion of the offending team. A red card is game disqualification.

“It was my call to let him go back in,” the coach said of Savoy. “He’s a senior for us, he’s done much better later in the season with controlling his emotions. He just let it get the best of him in a big game today. And as a coach, you’ve got to own that. I made that decision, and it cost us.”

Mount View had an early opportunity to take a lead when a Brewer handball in the box gave the hosts a penalty kick, but an attempt by Noah Jacobs rocketed off Brewer goalie Matt Mousseau and back out into the field of play.

Then, the Witches got their opportunity on a PK with 11:47 to play in the first half — which Baker buried — to put Brewer up 1-0.

The penalty kick theme continued into the second half as both teams got one more attempt.

The ‘Stangs were able to knot the score with 21:22 remaining in the game when Doughty rocketed a penalty kick on goal, which, for the second time, bounded off Mousseau and back into the field of play.

Doughty collected the ball before any Brewer defenders could overlap and creased the net to tie the game 1-1.

That tie was short-lived, however, as a a foul in the Brewer box ended with Baker’s second penalty kick of the game with 20:49 to play as the Witches retook a one-goal lead.

Savoy’s second yellow card — which translated to a red card and disqualification — was issued moments later and the ‘Stangs were forced to play a player down the rest of the game.

“I think Brewer only had like four shots on goal,” said Hustus. “And they converted on the majority of them. We had a penalty kick attempt earlier in the game that we did not convert on. There’s your tying goal. It really comes down to you have to seize those opportunities when they’re there.”

Mount View held an 8-4 edge in shots and 8-0 advantage in corner kicks.

Ricky Nelson minded the net for the ‘Stangs and Mousseau for the Witches.

Brewer added what proved a crucial insurance goal with 3:28 to go after Gavin Carr was fouled hard by a Mount View player, which set up a free kick.

Sweet buried the kick from about 30 yards over the outstretched hands of Nelson and to the far right corner to put the Witches up 3-1.

Mount View got a goal in the waning minutes from Fowler, but the hosts could not complete the comeback.

Hustus credited his players for never giving up, even after facing what proved an insurmountable lead, being down two scores with 3:28 to play.

“Until that clock says zero, I never count these guys out,” said Hustus. “They will not quit going until the very end. And that’s a tribute to them. They’re a very hard-working group of young men and I’ve been really fortunate to have the opportunity to coach them.”

Earlier in the playoffs, No 3 Mount View defeated No 14 Medomak Valley of Waldoboro 1-0, while No. 6 Brewer beat No. 11 Waterville 3-1 in prelim games to advance to Tuesday’s quarterfinal.