A local man held police at bay with the threat of an explosive for over six hours Wednesday, Oct. 31, after a medical facility requested police conduct a well-being check.

Bucksport Police Chief Sean Geagan said the department was alerted at 10:50 a.m. by a local medical facility about a call it had received from a male on Route 1 who made potential threats to use an explosive.

The male was identified as William Benjamin, 57, of Bucksport the day after the incident.

Police closed a mile-long section of Route 1 and evacuated the immediate area from Nicholson Avenue to Rite Aid on the main thoroughfare. People who lived in the cordoned-off zone had to have a police escort drive them to their homes.

Geagan said officers were able to make contact with a female inside the residence and learned a firearm had been discharged by Benjamin inside the residence.

The female was removed from the house and the Maine State Police tactical team and bomb squad were called in because of threats made by Benjamin to detonate an explosive device, according to police. An armored vehicle with police in tactical gear was visible at the scene, along with several K-9 units.

"It wasn't considered a hostage situation, more a barricaded subject situation. (The female) lived in the home," Geagan said.

The State Police Special Crisis Negotiation team was called in and after a lengthy negotiation by Bucksport Police and Maine State Police, Benjamin was taken into protective custody and taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center, according to Geagan.

"The strategy in any event like this is for the safety of the person that we are dealing with and a safe ending to the situation for everyone, including the subject, all law enforcement involved and the citizens in the community," he said.

The bomb squad employed the use of a remote control robot to investigate the potential explosive.

Bucksport Police, Fire, EMS and Ambulance Service responded, along with the Maine State Police, tactical team, bomb squad and the Fire Marshal's office.

According to a press release from the Bucksport Police Department issued on Nov. 1, Benjamin was charged with reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon and additional charges are pending.