Several fire crews responded to a blaze that broke out in a garage at 1222 Waldo Station Road shortly after 9 a.m. on Wednesday.

According to Waldo Fire Chief Bob Cartier, the fire was contained to the garage and an adjacent camper. There were no injuries and the cause of the fire at this point, he said, is unknown.

Lloyd Stover Jr. and Tammy Sweetland, who live at the house, lost four motorcycles in the blaze, and numerous family mementos stored in plastic tubs in the garage.

"The garage burned flat along with a tagalong camper," Sweetland said.

She said she thinks a motorcycle battery tender may have overheated and caused the gas tank on one of the cycles to explode. There were several other fuel sources in the garage as well.

"There was fuel in a generator, a snowblower, and in the motorcycles," Sweetland said.

A new gas grill that had been used only a few times was destroyed and the propane tank may have been one of the loud explosions heard during the fire, Sweetland said.

A firefighter salvaged a wooden box with photographs he found unharmed in the garage.

"Pictures of my mom, who has passed, when she was 5. You can't replace that," Sweetland said.

Belfast Fire Department was first to respond, along with Waldo, Morrill and Brooks departments. Sweetland said firefighters remained at the home until approximately 1:30 p.m.

"One of the hardest things lost was a memory box from my son Brian, who was stillborn," she said. "Pictures of me holding him, his hand and footprints.

"But at least nobody was hurt and three of the motorcycles were insured."

The state Fire Marshal's Office has been contacted to investigate the cause of the fire, Cartier said.