John “Jack” H. Ambrose Jr. died peacefully after 91 years on April 29, 2019, at his home in Searsport. Jack was born in Peabody, Mass., on Nov. 13, 1927; the son of John H. Ambrose and Edith V. (Fish) Ambrose of Danvers, Mass.

He is survived by his son Michael J. Ambrose and his wife Anne (Robinson) Ambrose and their children Emily, Annette and Rory of Morrill; his son John W. Ambrose and his husband Laurence E. Miller III of Danvers, Mass.; and his daughter Mary Ann Ordelt and her husband Thomas Ordelt and their children Fiona and Ryan of Searsport.

Jack was raised in Danvers during the Great Depression. In his later years, he shared stories of how life was when he was a young boy. He attended and graduated from Holten Richmond High School. After high school, Jack joined the U.S. Navy and was a veteran of the Korean War. In the war, he worked as a radio repairman and corpsman. After serving six years in the navy, he left and became a licensed practical nurse.

He worked as an LPN at Lynn Hospital where he met and later married Mary Catherine Thompson, RN, in 1960. In 1972, he graduated from North Shore Community College with an associate degree in nursing science. Jack worked at Danvers State Hospital as a registered nurse in the psychiatric ward for violent patients for over 20 years.

Jack and Mary were married for 50 years before Mary died in 2010. They raised their three children in Danvers and retired to Searsport in 2003.

Jack was a longtime member of the local Fish and Game Club and The Knights of Columbus where he served as Grand Knight. He spent many evenings at the K of C Hall playing cards with his friends and at the lodge tying flies. He loved both fresh and saltwater fishing and would often give away his catch after a long day of deep-sea fishing to neighborhood friends. His vegetable garden also reaped the benefits of his successful fishing, which he also would happily give away. He enjoyed drawing and painting, playing golf, bowling, playing darts and Bingo and he was pretty good at them all.

The day before he died, he played Bingo at the Tarratine Hall in Belfast and was one number shy of winning the jackpot, then went home and died in his sleep. His family would say that he won the lottery.

A memorial mass will be held at St. Francis of Assisi Church in Belfast on Friday, May 24, at 11 a.m. Arrangements are under the care of Riposta Funeral Home, Belfast. Memories and condolences may be shared with the family at