The skies were cloudy for most of the day, but the sun broke through late, just as the Belfast boys tennis team clinched its second straight playoff victory.

Two days after the Lions pounced on No. 7 Old Town 5-0 in a Class B North quarterfinal playoff victory, Belfast did not lose a step in its semifinal match with No. 6 John Bapst of Bangor, as the hosts prevailed 4-1 on Saturday morning, June 1.

Watch video and see more photos below.

With the victory, the Lions (14-0) advance to the Class B North regional final to play No. 1 Caribou (14-0) on Tuesday, June 4 at 12:45 p.m. at Bates College in Lewiston.

Caribou defeated No. 9 Erskine Academy of South China (8-5) 3-2 in the quarterfinals, and No. 5 Waterville (10-4) 4-1 in the semifinals.

The Lions and Vikings did not play each other during the regular season, but their regional final match will be a battle of unbeatens.

John Bapst, which secured 4-1 victories over No. 11 Presque Isle and No. 3 Washington Academy of East Machias earlier in the single-elimination playoffs, finished its campaign 9-6.

The individual results, with Lion players listed first, from the Class B North semifinal playoff match were: In singles, Josh Chun beat Sean Flynn, 6-1, 6-0; Eli Jolliffe beat Jinyi Wei, 6-1, 6-1; and Max Lewis beat Triston Major, 6-1, 6-4.

In doubles, Dyllan Clark and Vin Bonarrigo lost to Max Poth and Cannon Breen, 3-6, 4-6; and Sam Spectre and Kyle Agbuya beat Sam Peterson and Noah Ravon, 6-7, 6-3, 6-1.

Interestingly, Lewis won his match in the morning and then traveled to Brewer to finish seventh in the state Class B track-and-field high jump championships.

"It was pretty stressful to be honest," Lewis said. "I woke up and went to tennis, and they changed the schedule so I could compete first."

To add to the stress, John Bapst was late because of transportation issues. The matches were scheduled to start at 10 a.m., but did not get underway until 11:15.

"That made everything tighter," Lewis said. "John Bapst arriving late really added to the stress. I arrived in Brewer around 1:45, and I was scheduled to jump at 2 p.m. I had to change and warmup in 15 minutes.

"It was a pretty big relief when I got to track. I was stressing really bad on the way up there hoping I would make it. (The) tennis (matches) affected me a lot. My legs were really tired. I had jumped 6-foot 2-inches in practice, which would have won [the title], and 6-feet normally, but [I jumped] 5-foot 8-inches at the meet. It was a big difference and I was pretty upset with myself."

Despite the "double-duty," Lewis now can focus on tennis, and an undefeated Caribou team that awaits him and the rest of the Lions in the regional final.

"I expect the matches will be really close," said Lewis. "Someone will have to go down, and hopefully it won’t be us. We’ve heard a lot of things about Caribou from other teams, but that’s as best as you can scout them, without having played them."

Courier Publications' sports staff can be reached by email at or by phone at 594-4401.