A fire, apparently ignited by a child playing with a lighter, destroyed a large, two-story post and beam barn and damaged a nearby mobile home early Monday afternoon.

Unity Fire Chief Blaine Parsons said at approximately 1:15 p.m., a call came in reporting a fully engulfed barn fire at 562 Albion Road (Route 202). The 40-by-60-foot, turn-of-the-last-century barn was reduced to charred beams within the hour. Remains of a burned pickup truck parked outside the barn were visible.

Firefighters were able to save an adjacent mobile home and camper from extensive damage.

A slight breeze sent smoldering ashes into the air, and across the street, firefighters hosed down a nearby garage to prevent it from catching fire.

The fire started on the first floor of the barn, Parsons said. The house was unoccupied and "a lot of the people were not home at the time" of the fire.

No injuries were reported, but equipment stored in the barn was destroyed. Traffic was stopped on Albion Road for about an hour while crews worked to put out the fire.

Besides Unity, crews from Albion, Burnham, Winslow, Freedom, Liberty, Fairfield and Troy battled the blaze. Montville Fire Department covered the Unity Station. Parsons said he is thankful for all the mutual aid.

Reached by phone Aug. 29, the Maine Fire Marshal's Office said the cause of the fire was determined to be a juvenile playing with a lighter. The child, who is under 10 years old, will undergo an educational fire safety program.