Sept. 27, 1832

BELFAST EAST BRIDGE. The public are informed that this Bridge is re-built, and is now passable for travelers — thus opening again a line of direct communication from the Western to the Eastern section of the State, by way of the pleasant towns of Augusta, Belfast, and Bucksport. This route is by several miles the shortest from Portland to Eastport, passing through the most pleasant villages in the state.

Sept. 29, 1870

The last rail was spiked down on Saturday morning, at a point beyond Brooks, about midway of the line. Many of our citizens were present, but no unusual demonstration was made, save that the whistling of the exultant locomotive frightened some horses and caused the wreck of a carriage or two. On Sunday morning the engine Windsor, with two platform cars came from Burnham to Belfast, bringing some twenty of the citizens of that town and Unity. They returned in the afternoon, a large crowd assembling at the depot in this city to see them off. The work of gravelling is progressing rapidly with four trains. Every night ten car loads of gravel are brought in and deposited on the depot grounds, for levelling them up. Another night train is to be put at work at this end — two being constantly at work by night and day on the Burnham end.

Oct. 1, 1903

Shall we have a park?

The Belfast Improvement Society Propose Buying a Shore Lot for That Purpose

The public meeting held in the court house Tuesday evening in the interest of a public park was not so largely attended as it would otherwise have been on account of trouble with the electric lights, which left the building in darkness until 10 minutes past the time advertised for the opening. Charles S. Bickford called the meeting to order and Mrs. C. A. Pilsbury stated the object to be the securing of a lot of land on the water front to be improved for a public park. Seven acres of the Allyn lot, with a shore front, can be bought at a reasonable price and on easy terms.

On motion of Edward Johnson, Mrs. Martha Johnson, Mrs. C. A. Pilsbury and Mrs. F. J. Rigby were appointed a committee to solicit contributions towards buying a lot. Remarks were made by several business and professional men, and all agreed as to the advisability of having a public place on the shore front. Mr. Johnson recommended having a pier with landing facilities to accommodate visitors who come by yachts, for visiting war vessels, etc. J. F. Wilson and Dr. G. P. Lombard spoke at some length on the natural advantages of Belfast and the advisability of having a public park as one of its attractions. Mr. and Mrs. Edward Johnson headed a subscription with $100, and the committee is to make a canvass for the necessary funds.

Compiled from archival holdings by Sharon Pietryka, Reference & Special Collections Librarian at the Belfast Free Library.