Three fires in Unity within one week — the third Monday night in an unused church — have officials speculating about whether there is a connection among them.

Two fires occurred four days apart at the same location, one Dec. 22 and the other Dec. 26, both at 30 Turner Court, and both are currently under investigation, according to a press release from the State Fire Marshal's Office.

On Monday, Dec. 28, firefighters put down a third fire that broke out at Unity United Methodist Church.

Unity Fire Chief Blaine Parsons said his crew answered the call around 6 p.m. Dec. 28 and "wrapped up" and began clearing the scene around 10 p.m.

Besides Unity, Parsons said, crews from Liberty, Montville, Freedom, Thorndike, Troy, Albion, Burnham Winslow and Unity Ambulance responded to the blaze.

Unity Fire Department Auxiliary provided firefighters with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Parsons said, and the Unity House of Pizza donated a "bunch of pizzas."

"I would like to thank them," Parsons said.

Unity Firefighter David Smith said, "It was an incredibly good save" by the fire department crews. The building, he said, was solidly built. "There are certainly signs of water and smoke damage," Smith said, "but structurally it is still sound."

Pastor Don Banton confirmed water and smoke damage to the 180-year-old church on Depot Street, across from the Unity Historical Society. He said there were not a lot of visible flames. "They sprayed into the sanctuary and the fellowship hall," he said.

Banton said their small congregation has been attending services online through Zoom and that the building has not been used.

"They are considering it a crime scene," Banton said.

According to the press release issued Dec. 29 by State Police on behalf of the Fire Marshal's Office, fire investigators are at the church today processing the scene and will continue with their efforts throughout the day. The site was marked off with yellow tape.

On Saturday, Dec. 26, several area fire departments responded to a blaze that broke out  in a mobile home at 30 Turner Court. It was the second fire at that location; an earlier fire occurred at about 5 a.m. Dec. 22, according to the Fire Marshal's Office.

Parsons said the second call came in around 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Besides Unity, crews from Troy, Thorndike, Freedom, Albion and Unity Ambulance responded. Montville Fire Department was on standby. According to Parsons, the fire was cleared by 10:45 p.m.

The mobile home is a total loss, Parsons said, and the cause of fire undetermined. The Fire Marshal's Office is investigating these fires, as well.

One person lived in the home, but was not there at the time of the fire, the chief said, adding that the individual did not wish to be identified or interviewed.

"I want to thank all the fire and emergency responders for their help," Parsons said. "We had a good stomp on the fire for what we had."

The Fire Marshal's Office asks that anyone who has information regarding any of the three fires call the office at 624-7076 and ask to speak with Sgt. Joel Davis.