Whenever Mount View and Belfast meet on the basketball court one expects a hard-nosed, scrappy, down-to-the-wire contest.

Although the usual raucous crowd's energy was not present to inspire the players, the Mustangs and Lions created their own energy, despite a sluggish start on the offensive end for the longstanding Waldo County high school athletic opponents.

Once the ball got rolling in the Monday, Feb. 1 boys court clash, Mount View's rolled faster from the onset, and gained momentum in the third quarter, to the tune of a 18-9 advantage, which turned out to be enough of a cushion for a 53-47 victory.

Watch video below. Click to view livestream of game.

The game originally scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 2, but was moved up a day due to the winter storm.

The Mustangs improved to 3-3 on the season, while the Lions fell to 2-3.

Mount View led at the quarter breaks, with an 8-7 edge after one, 28-26 at halftime and 45-35 after three.

Declan Knowlton led the charge for the hosts with 15 points, while Tyler Russell added 12; Draedyn Furrow and Joe Grassi, eight; Sean Raven, six; and Noah Hurd and Gage Carson, two. Russell hit two 3-pointers, while Raven added one.

Jason Bartlett keyed Belfast with 14 points, as Chris Kelley chipped in 12; LaDerrick Roberts, eight; Tanner Veilleux, seven; Tommy Walker, four; and Drew Abelon, two. Veilleux, Kelley and Walker connect on treys.

Mount View netted 8-of-14 (57 percent) free throws and Belfast 8-of-13 (61 percent).

Belfast got the scoring started when Kelley found Roberts inside for the bucket, a minute-and-a-half in, which wound up as the only field goal for a large stretch of the first quarter.

The next basketball was scored by Raven with 1:45 to play in the first stanza, which gave the hosts a 5-3 lead. That also was the Mustangs' first field goal of the game.

The rest of the half the foes poured in nearly an equal amount of points.

Out of intermission, Mount View took control and started to inch away as time ticked on.

The Mustangs ran their advantage to 35-28 with 6:05 left in the third quarter when Furrow found Russell on a fast-break layup.

Roberts answered on the other end for the Lions, as he corralled an offensive board off Kelley's miss, and put it in.

Two-and-a-half minutes later the Mustang advantage ballooned to 43-32, as Raven found Grassi on a perfect bounce pass in the paint for the layup. Knowlton followed Grassi's bucket with a fast-break basket followed by Furrow's offensive putback.

The Lions started their comeback attempt as Walker made 1-of-2 free throws to close the scoring for the teams in the third stanza.

Veilleux knocked down a three-ball from the top of the key to start the final stanza, as the Mustang lead dropped to 45-38, but was short-lived when the hosts broke through Belfast's fullcourt pressure defense with a layup on the offensive end.

Knowlton sunk two free throws a minute later to push Mount View's lead to 11 points, but Bartlett answered with a baseline jumper.

Kelley went coast-to-coast with 4:17 to play to cut the deficit to seven, before Knowlton hit 1-of-2 free throws to push the advantage back to eight, but Kelley answered again as the deficit fell to six before a Belfast timeout.

Belfast forced a turnover on the next Mount View possession, and Abelon got a baseline floater to fall, as the score sat at 50-46 with 3:24 to go.

The Mustangs went through a multi-minute scoring drought down to the final minute of play, but the visitors could not take advantage and could not sink their shots to cut into the lead.

Mount View sank its free throws down the stretch to outlast Belfast's last-ditch rally.