In a game reminiscent of a prize fight in boxing, the Oceanside and Belfast boys basketball teams absorbed each other’s best shots on Friday night, Feb. 5 on the hardwood.

The Mariners and Lions traded haymakers in the first half and went on lopsided scoring runs in the second portion of the 32-minute affair, as the Mariners led by as many as 17 points in the third quarter.

And while the Lions roared back to within a point late in the contest, the hosts could not answer the bell late as a few potential game-tying three-pointers missed their mark, which allowed the Mariners to hold on for a thrilling 67-64 high school court win.

With the victory, Oceanside improved to 5-1, while Belfast dropped to 2-4 in this pandemic-altered and -shortened campaign.

Watch video and more than 50 photos below.

Click to watch livestream of game.

Belfast led 26-22 after the first quarter, while Oceanside responded for a 46-35 advantage at halftime and 60-47 edged after three quarters.

Bodhi Ames led the Mariners with 18 points, while Cam Kingsbury tallied 17; Elliot Lucier, 12; Everett Allyn, nine; Gavyn Tower, seven; Alex Bartlett, two; and Carter Galley, one.

Chris Kelley poured in a game-high 34 points to pace the Lions, while Jason Bartlett added 19; Tanner Veilleux and Tommy Walker, four; Drew Abelon, two; and Chase Sanders, one.

Oceanside was 8-of-12 (75 percent) from the charity stripe, while Belfast finished 5-of-9 (56 percent).

The first quarter saw three ties and a whopping 11 lead changes as the teams jockeyed for control, which of the contest, which saw the Lions get back-to-back hoops from Bartlett and Kelley to give the hosts a 26-22 lead after the first eight minutes.

Bartlett started the second quarter with a short jumper, but the Mariners went on an 11-0 run after a pair of interior baskets from Ames, Lucier's layup off a nifty assist from Kingsbury, a floater by Allyn and trey by Kingsbury to give the visitors a 33-28 advantage.

Oceanside upped its lead to as many as nine during the reminder of the half and kept Belfast at arms-length, but the Lions rattled off six straight points to start the second half — a Kelley offensive putback and four points from Veilleux — to pull the hosts within 46-41.

But the Mariners responded with a 14-2 run that featured treys by Kingsbury and Lucier — in addition to a traditional three-point play by Tower off an offensive putback — and Oceanside quickly took a 60-44 lead.

Belfast did go away, however, as it scored the game’s next nine points spanning into the fourth quarter — including two treys by Kelley — which suddenly brought the Lions within 60-52.

The Lions outscored the Mariners 17-7 in the fourth quarter and closed the gap to 65-64 with 2:05 to play — moments after Kingsbury fouled out for Oceanside — but the visitors managed to milk precious time off the clock before the visitors called timeout with 21 seconds left.

The Mariners got a bucket from Ames with 10 seconds to go, which gave the Lions a chance to tie, but a three-point attempt by a double-teamed Bartlett fell short.

Belfast got the offensive rebound and were able to call timeout with 1.5 seconds to go, but Kelley’s desperation heave from the corner clanked out.