Twelve days prior, the Searsport girls basketball team rode high, as it defeated Sumner of Sullivan in a lopsided game that saw Viking senior Makenzie Alley net her 1,000th career point.

However, on Wednesday night, March 3, in a playoff game between the squads, revenge was a dish best served cold as the third-ranked Tigers proved road warriors in the Hancock County C/D COVID Cup.

The Tigers’ zone defense frustrated the No. 2 Vikings throughout much of the contest and saw the visitors' lead in the second half swell to 17 points in the high school court affair.

And while a late comeback led by Alley brought the Vikings within three points late, the Tigers went on a late run and emerged from the fray with a hard-fought, 54-50 victory.

Watch video and see 50 photos below.

Click to watch livestream of game.

Click to watch livestream of game.

With the win, Sumner advances to the “pod” championship, slated to be played Friday, March 5 at the home of the highest remaining seed, most likely No. 1 Deer Isle-Stonington.

Searsport, which beat Sumner 52-28 on Feb. 19, ended the pandemic-altered season 7-6.

Alley, who became the 10th Viking, and sixth SDHS female, to amass more than 1,000 points for her career, finished with 1,070 total. The school's previous most recent 1,000-point scorer was Barrett Grant in 2017.

On Wednesday, the Tigers held a 10-9 lead after the first eight minutes and extended their advantage to 22-13 at halftime and 39-29 after three quarters.

Alley poured in a game-high 29 points to lead the Vikings, while Kyla Perkins added 15; Joanna Wilson, three; Laura Warman, two; and Sarah Gent, one.

Mia Richardson keyed the Tigers with 16 points, while Rachel Colby added 15; Brianna Flaherty, 13; Belinda Catheron, eight; and Brooklyn Newenham, two.

Searsport finished 14-of-23 (61 percent) from the charity stripe and Sumner 3-of-14 (21 percent).

The game was back-and-forth throughout the opening stanza and saw several lead changes which spanned into the second quarter before an offensive putback by Richardson midway through the stanza gave the Tigers a lead they, ultimately, did not relinquish.

Richardson, who had a considerable height advantage over the smaller Searsport players, scored 10 of her team’s 12 points in the quarter as the Tigers took a nine-point lead into halftime.

Flaherty hit an immediate trey to start the third quarter and another offensive putback from Richardson quickly gave Sumner a 14-point lead.

The visitors saw their advantage grow to 35-18 after a coast-to-coast layup from Newenham, but the Vikings went on an 8-0 run after a pair of free throws from Perkins, steal and score in the backcourt by Alley and a trey by Wilson to make the score 35-25.

During the latter play, Newenham went down with an arm injury and would not return for the rest of the game.

In the fourth, Alley — as she has done so many times over her illustrious four-year varsity career — put the Vikings on her shoulders as she looked to will Searsport back into the contest.

As the hosts trailed 41-29, Alley scored the next eight points off a free throw, layup off a steal — which drew contact and saw her miss the potential three-point play opportunity — but the ball went out of bounds off a Sumner player, which gave Searsport the ball back under its basket.

The inbound pass came to Alley, who, this time, manage the three-point play and after two free throws moments later, Searsport suddenly trailed 41-37 with just under seven minutes to play.

The Vikings seemed to neutralize the Tigers with Richardson on the bench with her fourth foul, but she returned minutes later — with Sumner leading 43-40 — as the visitors got an offensive putback from Richardson and back-to-back uncontested layups from Colby, who got ahead of the Viking defense on the break to make the score 49-40.

Searsport cut its deficit to four points on three occasions over the next few minutes, the final instance after a leaner by Alley to make the score 53-49.

Colby gave Sumner a five-point edge with about 25 seconds to play, but Searsport quickly turned the ball over on its next possession, which sealed the game for the Tigers.