April 18, 1833

A wild Turkey was recently killed at the foot of Mount Tom—an insurmountable argument against the assertions of naturalists that this bird is extinct in New England.

April 21, 1843

There will always be found fresh halibut, and other fish usually caught in our bay, at the store of Col. Robt. Thompson. All who desire a good fish, can confidently rely upon the Colonel, that they will be well and promptly served; he intends to keep a fresh supply on hand through the summer.

April 17, 1873

The letting of houses is the briskest trade in town. Tenements do not remain vacant long enough to get cold. Families come in at the front door before the last occupant can get out at the rear. All of which signifies that Belfast is a desirable location.

School boys in this city wear uniform caps with initial letters upon their front designating the respective schools to which they belong. Thus: “B. I. S.” means Belfast Intermediate School.

We have an association of bell ringers in this city, that have favored the people with too much of their attentions. They are young men who think it a nice joke to ring the door bells of houses, and get people up at midnight. Last Wednesday night, Church street was the field of their operations. Among those visited was Geo. Wells, whose wife being ill, was much annoyed. On their return, one of the number again came to that door, but to his surprise, just as he touched the bell-pull, the door swung open and Mr. Wells’ fist was planted into his face, laying him flat on his back. Bell ringing isn’t so fashionable as it was.

April 19, 1883

The Egg King. Mr. Lorenzo Dow who moved from this city to Boston last fall has returned and again taken up his residence in Belfast. Mr. Dow is a large egg dealer and has been called the egg king of Waldo County. He will again engage in the business, occupying the old stand near the Maine Central depot, where he will be pleased to welcome his old friends. Mr. Dow is an enterprising business man, and the citizens of Belfast are glad to welcome him and his genial wife back to business and society.

April 16, 1903

Mrs. J. Reinhart has arrived in Belfast and opened her boarding place in the Cutter house on Cedar street, where she purposes conducting a first class house for regular boarders and mealers. She has a very attractive dining room, with small and large tables, and has had much experience in the business. She is highly recommended by Belfast people who have been her patrons, and who encouraged her coming here.

Compiled from archival holdings by Sharon Pietryka, Reference & Special Collections Librarian at the Belfast Free Library.