THORNDIKE — Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention has identified several COVID-19 cases associated with Mount View High School as an outbreak.

In a letter to staff, students and parents Monday, Aug. 30, Regional School Unit 3 Superintendent Charles Brown said three people associated with the high school recently tested positive for the illness.

In a text dated Friday, Aug. 27, and then another Sunday, Aug. 29, Brown informed the community that the district health office was notified of the positive cases. On Aug. 27, one person associated with the school had tested positive for the disease, while Sunday brought news that two additional cases had been reported to the health office. Brown did not specify if the cases were among students or staff.

“At this time, none of these individuals have been in attendance at school and the CDC has advised us to continue as planned,” he said.

Anyone who was a close contact has been notified, he said, and parents should continue to monitor themselves and their students for signs and symptoms of the virus. Brown added that people should stay home if they are sick.

Maine CDC recommends preventive measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 including, vaccinations for people over the age of 12. Additional measures such as proper handwashing with soap and warm water or hand sanitizing, covering coughs and sneezes, and avoiding touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands, are also recommended. Close contact with people who are sick should be avoided.

An outbreak is defined by the Maine CDC as three or more cases of COVID-19 within a 14-day period that are epidemiologically linked.

Besides the outbreak at Mount View High School, Maine CDC has identified three others in Waldo County. The outbreak investigations at Calvary Chapel Belfast church in Searsmont and Penobscot McCrum in Belfast remain open with the same case counts of 16 and nine cases, respectively.

The Waldo County General Hospital outbreak investigation also remains open, with an additional two cases, now 23 in all. As of Aug. 26, eight patients and 13 staff had been identified with the virus at the hospital. Spokesman Robert Long of Maine CDC did not have additional information on the two additional cases at WCGH as of Tuesday morning, Aug. 31.