In two games spanning two days, the end result was the same over the weekend as the Belfast and Mount View soccer teams renewed their Waldo County high school athletic rivalries on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 1-2.

The Mustang boys fell behind early, but rallied for six straight goals and bested the Lions 6-1 on Friday in Thorndike.

Mount View’s Draedyn Furrow (6) and Nick Cobb, left, as well as Belfast’s Elias Howard, middle, Ronin Deschamps (14) and Miles Cannon (16). Photo by Mark Haskell

That win gave Mount View a 15-match win streak dating to 2020, where the Mustangs were 6-0 before the season was canceled for Mount View — and the majority of schools throughout the state — due to COVID-19.

The Mount View boys win streak has spanned nearly two calendar years, with their last loss coming in the state Class C championship game on Nov. 9, 2019 against Waynflete of Portland.

Meanwhile, on Saturday morning, the Mount View girls also went on the road and emerged with a 3-0 victory over host Belfast at Dennis “Bear” Bryant field.

The following is a recap of the weekend games:


Mount View led 5-1 at halftime.

The Mustang offense hummed on Friday, as five of six goals came off either the foot — or head — of 6-foot midfielder Draedyn Furrow, who now has a whopping 22 goals through nine games.

Noah Hurd also creased the net in the win for Mount View, while Holden Nichols netted the lone goal early in the first half for Belfast. Tyler Russell had four assists and Hurd and Isaac Widmer one for the ‘Stangs.

“We came out a little slow” said Mount View coach Jeremy Von Oesen. “We had someone put into quarantine again today, so we have four starters sitting out for quarantine purposes. We’ve been talking a lot this year about ‘adapt and overcome.’”

Mount View has not had its full roster in any of its nine wins this fall.

Belfast coach Justin Varney said he was “proud of the boys work ethic.”

“These boys, with limited subs, are putting 110 percent into every game with no complaints, through exhaustion,” he said. “Today was no exception.”

Belfast’s Elias Howard, left, and Mount View’s Draedyn Furrow. Photo by Mark Haskell

Belfast was coming off a 2-0 loss to Oceanside of Rockland the previous day and was playing its third game in four days.

Friday’s game was back-and-forth through the first 20 minutes as the Lions took a 1-0 lead with 30:23 remaining after a goal from Lovejoy.

However, the Mustangs got the equalizer off a stellar individual effort from Furrow — and an assist from Russell — with 20:22 left.

Mount View scored four more times before the halftime siren sounded, which put the game well out of reach for Belfast.

In three of those four goals, Furrow simply outran the Lion defense, drew the Belfast goalie off his line and touched it into the net from the left side with ease and finesse. Hurd did the same with his opportunity — a hard-driven shot from the right side of the frame — with 5:23 to go in the half.

“Draedyn has been a different level player for us,” said Von Oesen. “And Noah just getting back after being in quarantine for 10 days, they’re starting to find each other a little bit. And we’ve moved Tyler [Russell] back a little bit to change our dynamic a little bit, but he’s understanding his role better as we’re going along.”

Furrow added his fifth goal with 27 minutes to go in the game when Widmer put a direct kick on net that Furrow outlept the Lion keeper for on a 50-50 ball and scored off a header.

Von Oesen then took him out as Furrow played ball boy for the rest of the contest.

“Mount View executed a plan and executed it well,” said Varney. “They have some power and speed up too and were successful in taking advantages of the chances they were given. Draedyn was excellent in breaking through our defense and had some clinical finishes. He is a great example of solid forward.”

Von Oesen said Furrow is “playing a chess match out there” and “is already four or five moves ahead anticipating what you’re going to do.”

“He’s great at everything,” he said. “He’s the valedictorian of his class. He’s leading in every way possible. I can’t say enough about him.”


The Mustangs held a 1-0 edge at halftime.

Hannah Coolen had a goal in each half to lead the Mount View offense, while Hazel Abelo added one.

Mount View held a 7-3 edge in shots in the first half and finished with 11 shots to Belfast’s four.

“We’re excited to get the win for sure, but we’re more excited with the way we played,” said Mount View coach David Page. “Having everybody back and seeing what they could do together. We opened things up [and] we used the whole field.”

Mount View’s Hannah Coolen, middle, along with Belfast’s Ada Potter (16) and Emma Waldron. Photo by Mark Haskell

Saturday’s game was the first time the Mustangs have not had at least one — in most instance multiple players — out due to COVID-19 restrictions since the first game of the year.

“This was the hardest game I’ve seen them play this year,” said Lion coach Brian Beauleu. “I think we’re very evenly-matched, there was a lot of back-and-forth and I was very pleased. I told the girls [after the game] to keep their heads up because this was a hard-fought battle and they just came up on the short end.”

The game was back-and-forth through the first 30 minutes before the Mustangs got on the board.

Mount View briefly turned the ball over but got it right back after a short Belfast clearance attempt was intercepted by Coolen, who chipped it over the goalie’s head to the far 90 from about 25 yards out with just under nine minutes to play in the first half.

Belfast’s Olivia Lancaster, left, and Mount View’s Hannah Ferreira. Photo by Mark Haskell

Belfast’s Natalie Hamlin came inches from knotting the score one minute later when she got ahead of the Mount View defense and fired a shot from right to left across the goalmouth that went past the outstretched hands of Giulia Fernando and trickled out by the far post for a Mustang goal kick.

“She was just a hair wide,” said Beaulieu. “It’s a game of inches sometimes.”

The ‘Stangs got a much-needed insurance goal with 13:24 to play in the second half when Abelo served the ball into Isla Petrak on the attack, which saw Petrak and Curry briefly collide on the 50/50 ball. However, Abelo was trailing the play and there to touch the ball past the keeper before the retreating Belfast defense could stop it from crossing the line for her first varsity goal.

“She just started playing soccer in June for the first time in her life,” said Page. “It’s exciting for her. Actually, we had her playing in three or four different spots today. She’s come in, she’s been real flexible and she’s done a great job.”

Coolen had a few quality looks in the second half, but finally got her second goal late in the game when she chipped in a direct kick over the leaping Ada Curry’s hands following a Belfast foul with 6:18 to go in the game.

“She can hit it,” said Page of Coolen. “Left foot right foot doesn’t matter. And today we were able to give her a little bit of support so she didn’t feel like she had to do everything.”

Ferrando got her first career shutout in goal for Mount View with four saves, while Ada Curry made five saves in net for Belfast.

For Ferrando, an exchange student from Italy, this is her first foray into soccer.

“She has played volleyball her whole life,” said Page. “This is her first time playing soccer. We saw that she could dive and she knows how to dig those balls out for volleyball so we told her, ‘try this,’ and it’s worked out really well.”