The Busline League soccer seasons have turned to the most exciting portion of the schedules — namely, the playoffs and quests to win middle school championships. And the title clashes are on-deck.

Scene from Hope at Searsport on Oct. 6 in middle school coed soccer. Photo by Zack Miller

The girls championships is slated for Saturday, Oct. 23 at 10 a.m. at Point Lookout in Northport. The boys final, which was supposed to be played at noon the same day at the same site, has been canceled due to COVID-19 protocols.

The coed championships will be on Monday, Oct. 25 at 4 p.m., also at Point Lookout.

The girls and boys finals were to feature No. 1 Camden-Rockport against No. 2 Medomak of Waldoboro, while the coed final will showcase North champion Hope, No. 1 in its division, against South Division titlist South Bristol, which was fourth. The girls final will be played, however, the boys championship will not be played.

The final standings — with regular-season records unavailable — for each group included:

Boys — Camden-Rockport, Medomak, Oceanside of Thomaston, Troy Howard of Belfast, Woolwich and Great Salt Bay of Damariscotta. As the top seeds, Camden-Rockport and Medomak received byes.

Scene from Vinalhaven at Nobleboro on Oct. 13 in Busline League middle school coed soccer. Photo by Zack Miller

In first-round games, No. 3 Oceanside defeated No. 6 Great Salt Bay 9-1, while No. 4 Troy Howard bested No. 5 Woolwich (score unavailable).

On Wednesday, Oct. 20, the top seeds advanced to Saturday’s title clash as No. 1 Camden-Rockport defeated No. 4 Troy Howard (score unavailable) and No. 2 Medomak bested No. 3 Oceanside 5-2.

Girls — Camden-Rockport, Medomak, Oceanside, Troy Howard and Woolwich. As the top seeds, Camden-Rockport, Medomak and Oceanside received byes.

In a first-round game, No. 4 Troy Howard defeated No. 5 Woolwich (score unavailable).

On Wednesday, Oct. 20, the top two seeds advanced to Saturday’s championship as No. 1 Camden-Rockport defeated No. 4 Troy Howard (score unavailable) and No. 2 Medomak earned a 4-0 win over No. 3 Oceanside.

Scene from St. George at Lincolnville on Oct. 6 in Busline League middle school coed soccer. Photo by Mark Haskell

Coed (North) — Hope, Lincolnville, Searsport and Appleton.

In first-round games, No. 1 Hope was scheduled to host No. 4 Appleton, but Appleton dropped out, which moved Hope to the next round. Additionally, No. 2 Lincolnville beat No. 3 Searsport 4-3.

On Wednesday, Oct. 20, No. 1 Hope nabbed the North title and advanced to Monday’s championship game with a 3-1 win over Lincolnville.

Coed (South) — Bristol, St. George, Nobleboro, South Bristol, Jefferson and Vinalhaven. As the top seeds, Bristol and St. George received byes.

In first-round games, No. 4 South Bristol defeated No. 5 Jefferson (score unavailable), while No. 3 Nobleboro defeated No. 6 Vinalhaven 10-0.

In semifinal games on Monday, Oct. 18, No. 4 South Bristol upset top-seeded Bristol 1-0, while No. 2 St. George survived to win 1-0 against No. 3 Nobleboro in a game that went scoreless through overtime and ended in penalty kicks.

On Wednesday, Oct. 20, No. 4 South Bristol pulled its second straight upset with a 2-1 win in double-overtime over No. 2 St. George. Thus, South Bristol and Hope will vie for the coed crown on Monday.

Scene from Hope at Searsport on Oct. 6 in middle school coed soccer. Photo by Zack Miller

To submit game information — include final score, full names of goal scorers and those with assists for both teams, along with goalies’ names and other statistical information (shots, corner kicks, saves, etc.) — to MaineStay Media/VillageSoup, email

The following is a recap of recently-reported results:


Medomak 5, Oceanside 2

At Waldoboro Oct. 20, the Rivewhawks emerged victorious over the Mariners and advanced to Saturday’s title game. Oceanside led 1-0 at halftime before Medomak netted five second-half goals to pull away.

Luke Cheesman netted three goals to lead the Riverhawks and Aidyn Herring two, while Dima Cheesman added one assist. Thomas Geddis scored goals to pace the Mariners.

Medomak took 23 shots and attempted six corner kicks. Mason Nguyen made seven saves in goal for the Riverhawks, while Oscar Barnes played in net for the Mariners.

No. 3 Oceanside 8, No. 6 Great Salt Bay 1

At Thomaston Oct. 14, the Mariners sailed into the next round with a dominating win over the Cougars. Oceanside held a 6-0 lead at halftime.

Elliot Trott had three goals in the win for the Mariners, while Carter Jones added two and Aiden Willis, Grady Geretz and Adrian Small one.

Oscar Barnes minded the net for Oceanside.


Camden-Rockport 7, Troy Howard 2

At Camden Oct. 20, the Schooners sailed past the Lions and onto the finals.

The Schooner offense was led by Molly Williams (3 goals, assist), Hannah Stowe (3 goals), Maya Stone (goal) and Mayumi Qualter (assist).

Hudson Wallace had two saves in net for CRMS.

Medomak 4, Oceanside 0

At Waldoboro Oct. 20, the Riverhawks netted a win over the Mariners and earned a berth in the championship game. Medomak led 3-0 at halftime.

Scarlett Flint netted three first-half goals and Haylee Chandler added one in the second to pace the Medomak offense.

“There was a lot of great play and action for MMS,” said Riverhawk coach Andrea Williamson. “There were give-and-go passes, there were overlaps [and] lots of great soccer. The second half was much of the same. Lots of MMS hustle and pressure.”

The coach added that “great hustle” was shown throughout the game by Julia Hynd, Lyra Pulchalski, Haylee Chandler, Grace Townsend, Scarlett Flint, Grace Havener, Peyton Eaton, Aaliyah Ten Broeck and Summer Staples.

Medomak 6, Troy Howard 1

At Waldoboro Oct. 7, the Riverhawks soared past the Lions. Medomak led 3-1 at halftime.

The Riverhawk offense was keyed by Scarlett Flint (2 goals), Summer Staples (3 goals) and Haylee Chandler (goal), while Stella McCarthy scored the lone goal for the Lions.

“Great defense was played by Rachel Barbour, Aaliyah Ten Broeck, Felicity Griffin, Layal Carter, Brooke McNelly, Scarlett Flint and Haylee Chandler,” said Medomak coach Andrea Williamson. “Great team work and great play from everyone on the team. There was even some great give-and-go passes.”


Hope 3, Lincolnville 1

At Hope Oct. 20, the Hawks soared past the Lynx and onto the championship game. Hope led 1-0 at halftime.

Micah Fagonde scored Hope’s first two goals, while the third was tallied by Mikey Hall. Mickey Nowell netted the lone goal for Lincolnville, off an assist from Natalie Bolduc.

Alec Brown played in goal for the Hawks.

Lincolnville coach Ben Edes said Hope was aided in the first half with a wind to their backs and the Lynx did their best to rally late in the second half but came up short.

“The Lynx were able to capitalize at 44:35 when midfielder Natalie Bolduc fired a ball forward chased by striker Mickey Nowell,” said Lincolnville coach Ben Edes. “Even though a defender beat him to the ball by just a hair, Nowell blocked the attempted clear which bounced off to his right. Nowell moved quickly to corral it, made a quick dribble to find an open lane, and pulled the trigger to send the ball just inside the far corner of the net from the right side. At this point, Lincolnville upped the pressure to the max seeking the equalizer, but regrettably, the Hawks were able to stage a last counterattack with just under three minutes remaining to put the lead back up to two goals.”

Edes added: “The Lynx tried valiantly to claw their way back in, but there just was not enough time left.”

“The outstanding thing about this game was the energy and enthusiasm that both teams brought to the field and that resulted in such an exciting, well-played match,” he said. “Every player deserves due credit for the fine, entertaining game that resulted.”

South Bristol 2, St. George 1 (2OT)

At Tenants Harbor Oct. 20, the Mariners got the game-winning goal with 18 seconds left in double-overtime and advanced to the final.

Drew Nichols netted goals to pace the Mariners, while Willow Miller scored for the Dragons.

Karly Putansu minded the net for St. George and Wesley Poole for South Bristol.

St. George 1, Nobleboro 0 (OT)

At Tenants Harbor Oct. 18, the Dragons survived a scare from the visiting Lions and advanced to the South final. The game was scoreless at the end of regulation and, after a scoreless overtime, went to a round of penalty kicks.

Karly Putansu, Will Minery, Carter Morris and Jayden Hughes-Doherty converted penalty kicks in the win for the Dragons, while Putansu minded the net for the hosts. The penalty kick scores do not count toward the final game score, only that one team converted more penalty kicks than the other, thus the 1-0 final score.

Lincolnville 4, Searsport 3

At Lincolnville Oct. 14, the Lynx outlasted the visiting Vikings.

Lynx coach Ben Edes said the opponents combined to produce a barn-burner. The sides battled throughout the game, and were tied 3-3 with two minutes to play. Ultimately, the LCS booters prevailed.

Searsport got on the board first at the 7:23-mark as it took advantage of a Lynx clear up the middle, broke through into the box, and hammered a shot home past keeper Thomas Pickford, who had no realistic chance to stop it, the coach said.

That fired the Lincolnville 11 up as they began to gain an edge in possession. It only took the Lynx three minutes to even the score when Pickford booted a long ball off the ground that a Searsport defender failed to clear with a header which allowed Mickey Nowell to head it in turn over the defense for breaking winger Maren Johnson. As she controlled the ball, the keeper found herself caught halfway out of the goal so Johnson chipped the ball in over the keeper’s head. It rebounded down off the crossbar, hit the keeper, and despite a fine diving effort to push the ball out, ended up in the net.

The Lynx extended their lead at 17:45 when Liam Day-Lynch sent a long feed to Nowell, who corralled the ball, beat one defender to the outside right, and then cut towards the goal before burying a beautiful finish in the back of the net, Edes said.

Facing a two-goal deficit, it looked like the Vikings might sag, but instead, they came back a minute later and cut the lead with a break up the middle. It took the visitors two minutes more to find the net for their third, again finding a hole in the middle to exploit.

The final 10 minutes of the half were played evenly as the teams were deadlocked 3-3 at the break.

While the Lynx had the edge in the first half, the momentum definitely switched to the Vikings in the second as they spent a considerable amount of time in the LCS defensive end, Edes said. But with Day-Lynch playing sweeper, the Vikings were unable to make the final penetrations they did in the first half.

Lincolnville had a number of tries of their own, but it was definitely a half dominated by Searsport.

Until the last two minutes, that is.

At that point, Day-Lynch picked up a loose ball in the LCS defensive end near midfield and staged a masterful, solo drive up the field beating at least three Searsport players on the way before breaking free just outside the box. Seeing the alert keeper beginning a charge, Day-Lynch launched a shot which the keeper was just able to block, but Day-Lynch pounced on the short rebound and hammered it home before the keeper could react with only 1:32 remaining in the game, the coach said.

In addition to those mentioned, the Lynx depended on Havana Kriste, Natalie Bolduc, Olivia McManus, Jacob Talbot and Jack Lytton to control the midfield as well as Bryson Hise, Danielle Webber and Abby Webber to hold the defensive line, Edes said.

“Finally, both teams are to be congratulated on the quality of the effort they put into this game,” he said. “It was extremely exciting to watch and truly was one of those games that it was a shame that only one team could win.”

Lincolnville 2, St. George 0

At Lincolnville Oct. 6, the Lynx converted a pair of second-half scores and bested the visiting Dragons.

Scene from St. George at Lincolnville on Oct. 6 in middle school coed soccer. Photo by Mark Haskell

Mickey Nowell netted goals in the win for Lincolnville. The first goal came off a long pass from the defensive side of the field from teammate Liam Day-Lynch, as Nowell gathered the ball on the fly and beat the Dragon keeper from long range, while the second was off another long feed from Day-Lynch, but this time converted from close range.

Lincolnville coach Ben Edes said: “St. Geroge came alive and exerted extreme pressure in the LCS end of the field, staging a number of fine tries before time ultimately ran out.”

Scene from St. George at Lincolnville on Oct. 6 in middle school coed soccer. Photo by Mark Haskell

Thomas Pickford got the shutout in net for Lincolnville.

Scene from Hope at Searsport on Oct. 6 in middle school coed soccer. Photo by Zack Miller

MaineStay Media/VillageSoup sports staff can be reached by email at

filed under: