Nov. 14, 1833

Another new Machine in Belfast.—In addition to the recently invented machine of Mr. Job White, for sawing veneering stuff, and Mr. P. P. Quimby’s new construction of a saw for the common saw-mill, (an account of which has before been published,) we have to record the invention of a machine for cutting the leather for shoes by Capt. Samuel Haynes, an industrious, intelligent shoe-maker of this village. This machine is constructed of two cylenders which are rolled together; on one of which are placed knives in such a manner as to cut a side of leather into vamps and quarters as the leather passes between the cylenders. It is done very quick. It is said one man with the machine can cut out more shoes in one hour than 12 men by hand, can cut in a day, and do it better into the bargain. Capt. Haynes has, we understand, a machine at work in Boston, which fully equals his expectations. By this invention, much money will be saved in labor, and it will be a source of considerable profit to the ingenious inventor.

Nov. 13, 1863

A series of daring burglaries have been perpetrated in Searsport recently. Half a dozen dwelling houses have been entered at night, but in every instance the inmates have been aroused by the noise, and the robbers have retreated without booty. In several instances the chamber windows have been entered by means of ladders. As it is not unlikely that our city may be next visited, we advise our citizens to be on the alert.

Nov. 16, 1893

Improvement is still the order of the day at Critchett, Sibley & Co.’s shoe factory. They are now removing the granity basement wall on the southerly side of the factory, east of the tower, and replacing it with a brick wall with numerous windows. This is to give better light to the lasting room and Goodyear department. The firm is shipping over fifteen tons of shoes per week.

Nov. 13, 1919

The Armistice Anniversary… The whistles and bells were used at 11 a. m. to recall the hour when firing ceased on the world war battle front.

There were record crowds at the Armory, both of spectators and the dancing public. The hours from 9 to 11 were devoted to general dancing with good music by McKeen’s orchestra of seven pieces and Charles F. Hammons vocal soloist. The dance numbers bore names immortal in the world’s history of battles, etc. About 11 o’clock the stage was used to represent No Man’s Land and some of the raw realities our boys endured there. Illuminated cards on an easel explained what to the thinking public were most apparent and impressive. Then came the Red Cross first aid camp with the wounded, the surgeons and the Red Cross Nurse. Mr. Hammons sang at the opportune time, “The Rose of No Man’s Land.” Then floor space was called for and a gun and carriage, camouflaged to do its deadly work of shock-shelling, etc. These ideas were original with the Post members who had charge of the carnival, Messrs. Ralph A. Bramhall, William L. Luce and others.

Compiled from archival holdings by Sharon Pietryka, reference & special collections librarian at the Belfast Free Library.

filed under: