UNITY — A chimney fire was put out quickly before it could spread to the rest of the house Monday afternoon.

According to Unity Fire Chief Blaine Parsons, an emergency medical technician driving by a house at 461 Albion Road spotted flames coming out of the chimney at around 2:30 p.m. Jan. 3.

Firefighters determined the fire was caused by creosote buildup and that it was confined to a Metalbestos chimney. The house sustained no damage, Parsons said.

In putting out a fire like this, the chief said, firefighters take the chimney apart and try to get all the creosote out of the cleanout. They then run a brush up the chimney to extinguish any remaining material.

Besides Unity Fire and Ambulance Service, Freedom Fire answered the call. Troy and Albion fire departments were called initially, but were canceled once crews arrived at the scene.

Emergency responders work to quickly put out a chimney fire Jan. 3. Photo by Fran Gonzalez

filed under: