LINCOLNVILLE — Fire extensively damaged a single-story home at 692 Beach Road the morning of Jan. 19.

Hope Fire Chief Clarence Keller stands in the front yard of the house at 692 Beach Road in Lincolnville, which was badly damaged by fire the morning of Jan. 19. Hope was one of five mutual aid towns at the scene. Photo by Carolyn Zachary

The call came in as a chimney fire, according to Fire Chief Don Fullington III. “Fortunately, I was in the center of town, so I could get over here pretty quickly,” he told The Republican Journal at the scene. “I saw immediately that it was a structure fire. Smoke was coming out of both gable ends.”

Three adults and a dog were in the house when the fire started, the chief said. Charlie Amborne, who lived in the home, together with his daughter, Lillian Amborne, the owner, and a younger woman, all got out safely and left the scene with a family member, Fullington said. There were no injuries.

When Fullington saw that it was a structure fire, he called in the first alarm, which brought Camden, Hope and Northport. Later he called in a second alarm, which brought Rockport and Searsmont as well. North East Mobile Health Services was also at the scene.

Fire crews work to put out a fire on Beach Road in Lincolnville Jan. 19. Photo by Carolyn Zachary

The first crew went into the house through the front door, the chief said, and the second cut a hole in the roof with a chainsaw to ventilate it. The house had a metal roof over asphalt, so the fire spread through the whole ceiling, he explained, doing “extensive” damage.

Speaking with The Republican Journal Friday, Jan. 21, Fullington said the house was insured and owner Lillian Amborne has been in touch with the insurance company. He believes her father is now staying with her in her home in Lincolnville.

The chief said the family returned to the house and was able to salvage a number of possessions, thanks to firefighters’ “good job” in “pulling down ceilings, putting water only where it was needed” and “knocking the fire down quickly.”

The family was particularly concerned about saving family photographs of Charlie Amborne’s late wife, Fullington said. “They carried out a laundry basked full of pictures,” he said, “none of them damaged — not even wet — as well as clothing and a lot of irreplaceable items.”

Fullington said the state Fire Marshal’s Office arrived to investigate about an hour after the fire was extinguished. The chief believed the fire started in the chimney and woodstove area, but deferred to the Fire Marshal’s Office, which confirmed Friday afternoon that a chimney fire was the source.

filed under: