SEARSMONT — The town’s Volunteer Fire Department was called out to a fire in a stovepipe on Moody Mountain Road Friday evening.

Fire Chief James Ames told The Republican Journal this morning that the fire, reported about 6:30 p.m. Feb. 25, started in a woodstove’s Metalbestos pipe. “When we got on scene, the fire itself was pretty well out,” Ames said.

His crew “checked it over with a thermal imaging camera,” Ames said. “It definitely had been going inside the house, but they got it out by the time we got there.”

Initially heat in the pipe registered 600 degrees, he said, but within 20 to 30 minutes it was down to less than 300 degrees. Firefighters were on the scene less than an hour, he said.

 

filed under: