April 5, 1850

The marine railway, recently constructed by a company in this town, and to which we have before alluded, was put in successful operation last week. It worked most admirably in every particular. It is capable of taking up vessels of the largest class, in a very short time, and with great ease. This will be found a most valuable acquisition to the commercial community of the vicinity.

March 31, 1870

On Friday last, soon afternoon, Hamlin, who is awaiting trial for a series of burglaries committed in this city, made his escape from jail. A disused scuttle in the roof, which is accessible to prisoners when not in their cells, had been covered with planking spiked on the beams, and slated over on the outside. Hamlin who had by some means procured an old chisel, worked upon the planks from time to time, until he had cut them off. Taking a time when the jailor was down town, he pulled the planks away, broke the slates, and with a bed cord from a cell let himself down into the yard. The edge of the slates on the eaves cut the cord, and gave him a fall into the yard, which bruised him some. He then passed out at the gate, which is left open during the day, ran across the lots back of Congress street, crossed the main road near the Cemetery, and went into the woods beyond. Packard, who was recently brought from Knox county, declined to take advantage of this “hole in the wall,” together with some five or six other prisoners, and raised the alarm. Pursuit was at once undertaken by Sheriff Calderwood and assistants, but no clue was got to Hamlin’s course until the mail carrier on the North Searsport route came in and reported having passed him on the road. Sheriff Calderwood and Constable Bickford at once started in pursuit, tracked him as far as North Searsport, where they procured a fresh horse at Seavey’s, and came in sight of him about three miles beyond. Seeing his pursuers, Hamlin got over the fence and ran into the woods, but was so exhausted by his rapid travel that he was soon overtaken, ironed and brought back to the wagon. He went submissively back to his old quarters.

April 3, 1890

Misfortunes of a Candy Merchant. One day last week a small boy who was selling candy about the streets fell down and got his stock badly covered in the mud. The boy went into a store and looking at his damaged goods sat down and cried. The merchant told him to keep up a brave heart and not be cast down by trifles, and to take his knife and clean the mud from the candy. The boy worked away but made slow progress. “Spit on it and wipe the candy with your handkerchief,” said the man, which advice was promptly followed by the boy. In due time the candy presented a marketable appearance and the urchin went upon the street, and in a short time had disposed of his stock.

March 31, 1910

The muddiest place in town is on Franklin street. Three years ago it was given a coating of clay loam which contained not a particle of gravel and when the streets everywhere else are dry this is a nasty, sticky mud, and when first put on it was ankle deep. This clay loam is said to have cost 15 cents a load and to have been hauled a long distance.

Compiled from archival holdings by Sharon Pietryka, reference & special collections librarian at the Belfast Free Library.

filed under: